III - If The Shoe Fits

Începe de la început

"Help!" he yelled up at them. "Rope, please? Bungee cord? Something?"

Coach Hedge cursed and tossed Jason his club. "I don't know who you are, kid, but I hope you're good. Keep that thing busy-" he stabbed a thumb at Dylan- "while I get Leo."

"Get him how?" Jason demanded. "You going to fly?"

"Not fly. Climb." Hedge kicked off his shoes, revealing his hooves.

"You're a faun," Jason said.

"Satyr!" Hedge snapped. "Fauns are Roman. But we'll talk about that later."

Hedge leaped over the railing. He sailed toward the canyon wall and hit hooves first. He bounded down the cliff with impossible agility, finding footholds no bigger than postage stamps, dodging whirlwinds that tried to attack him as he picked his way toward Leo.

"Isn't that cute!" Dylan turned toward Jason. "Now it's your turn, boy."

Jason threw the club. It seemed useless with the winds so strong, but the club flew right at Dylan, even curving when he tried to dodge, and smacked him on the head so hard he fell to his knees. Sol's earrings skittered across the bridge, ending up next to Piper.

Piper wasn't as dazed as she appeared. Her fingers closed around the club when it rolled next to her, as well as Sol's earrings, but before she could either of them, Dylan rose. Golden blood, ichor, trickled from his forehead.

"Nice try, boy." He glared at Jason. "But you'll have to do better."

The skywalk shuddered. Hairline fractures appeared in the glass. Inside the museum, kids stopped banging on the doors.

They backed away, watching in terror.

Dylan's body dissolved into smoke, as if his molecules were coming unglued. He had the same face, the same brilliant white smile, but his whole form was suddenly composed of swirling black vapor, his eyes like electrical sparks in a living storm cloud. He sprouted black smoky wings and rose above the skywalk. He looked like an evil angel.

"You're a ventus," Jason said, though he had no idea how he knew that word. "A storm spirit."

Dylan's laugh sounded like a tornado tearing off a roof.

"I'm glad I waited, demigod. Leo and Piper I've known about for weeks. Could've killed them at anytime. But my mistress said a third was coming- someone special. She'll reward me greatly for your death!" Dylan laughed once more. "And Sol Salazar, willingly coming out here to protect some half-bloods? I've hit the jackpot!"

"Piper! My earrings!" Sol held out her hand.

Two more funnel clouds touched down on either side of Dylan and turned into venti- ghostly young men with smoky wings and eyes that flickered with lightning.

Piper stayed down, pretending to be dazed, her hand still gripping the club and earrings. Her face was pale, but she gave Jason and Sol a determined look, and they understood the message: Keep their attention. I'll brain them from behind.

Jason clenched his fists and got ready to charge, but he never got a chance.

Dylan raised his hand, arcs of electricity running between his fingers, and blasted Jason in the chest.

Jason flew onto his back, his left shoe blasted off.

The storm spirits were laughing. The winds raged. Piper was screaming defiantly, but it all sounded tinny and far away.

Out of the corner of her eye, Sol saw Coach Hedge climbing the cliff with Leo on his back. Piper was on her feet, desperately swinging the club to fend off the two extra storm spirits, but they were just toying with her. The club went right through their bodies like they weren't there. And Dylan, a dark and winged tornado with eyes, loomed over Jason and Sol.