Chapter 17 - Promotion

Depuis le début

"We're...I dunno? In limbo I guess," hoping I didn't sound as flustered as I'd felt.

"She told me about the annulment."
My eyes finally met hers, her face unreadable no trace of emotion or anything else that revealed what she thought about the situation. "Why haven't you signed?"

I couldn't answer the question I'd been asking myself for weeks.
"I don't want it to end." The truth left my lips a projectile. "I'm scared that if I sign that document, if I scribble my signature on that line, Robin and I will be done for good."

"I don't agree with her putting pressure to define the type of future you two would have. In fact, I don't think I've had a relationship last even two years in my entire thirty-six years of life."

Surprised at how open Ellie was being, I couldn't find the words to respond.
"The most important part of this mess is, whether or not getting hitched in Vegas was a mistake—you two being together isn't. And although you may not know what the future holds...fuck I don't even know what I'll have for breakfast tomorrow—but relationships, just like everything else in life can only be taken one day at a time."

"Wise words from a wise old woman." I joked at her finally revealing her true age. It was something she kept hidden; even the woman's Wikipedia page didn't have an accurate date of birth, don't ask me how she managed to keep it a secret.

She gave me a deep frown before pushing away from the desk, standing at full height.

"We're done for the day." Ellie announced, grabbing her coat that was casually thrown over the chair. "There's a reason I've been training you up Ashley. I know when you came in for the interview you expressed that you just needed a job to fund your medical studies, but I see potential, you've got a keen eye for fashion and an exceptional grasp on social media marketing. If you're willing to do the work—I've got a proposition for you."

"What sort of proposition?" I asked as I cleared my desk.

She motioned for the door, as if instructing me to follow her out. Quickly stuffing the rest of my things into the handbag, I caught up with her at the elevator.
"I didn't want to speak prematurely, but I figured since we were having that little heart-to-heart..." she looked disgusted at her own words. "It made sense to bring it up now is what I'm saying."

The elevator dinged and we both entered, my interest piqued at what she would reveal.

"This past year we've managed to secure quite a few high-profile accounts. There's been a lot of discussion in the background with the other shareholders about opening a second branch of May's and I've had thoughts about putting you forward to take point on that."

"I—" I must have looked horrified. "I don't know what to say?"
"When we secure Chanel, there will be more than enough leverage to push for the second branch. Say you'll consider it, that's all I want."

"Thank you, Ellie."

The she-witch wasn't as bad as I thought. Ellie clearly looked out for not only the company's best interest, but my own and I was beyond grateful. My heart warmed that she even thought I was capable of taking a lead in the new company.

We left the elevator, still heading in the same direction.

"Oh," she turned to me as we neared our cars. "I forgot to mention something."

My fingers absentmindedly pressed the button to unlock the doors of my car. "What's that?"

"The new branch...It'll be in London. You'd have to move."

---

Ellie was long gone, but I remained seated, parked in the near empty lot still in shock. London? I'd be moving halfway across the world for that job—if I accepted the offer. This city is the only place I've ever called my home. Where I grew up, made friends, experienced my first heartbreak, found my passion and made so many other memories that were seared into my mind forever.

I'd be leaving my best friends behind, my family—

Fuck.

Robin.

I'd be leaving Robin behind too.

My fingers swiped the smartphone open, tapping on her name. The line rang a few times before going to voicemail. She hardly ever missed my calls; and just like that, the anxiety was back. I opened our chat, her last message was received a few hours ago, reminding me to eat lunch—to which I never replied.

I quickly typed a message, asking if she'd be coming over tonight. There was a lot to discuss. Ellie's words awakened something in me, the need to straighten things out between us was unlike any other. We needed to figure it out, now more than ever. Especially with the impending decision I'd have to make.

Robin 😍: Tonight may not be a good night, something's come up.

I tried my best not to feel completely destroyed by the message. It wasn't like we had official plans; it was an expectation I had since we'd been sleeping together almost every night these past few weeks. What could have possibly come up?

My insecurities reminded me that she'd given Reina a lift, and I wondered if that had anything to do with her suddenly being too busy to come over. Before Ben, I had only one serious relationship. My ex--Sean had set an impossible standard for me when it came to men. He was my high-school sweetheart, a kind, honest and caring man. I never worried about him being unfaithful, and if he ever was—he was damn good at hiding it.

Ben ruined me.

It wasn't something I wanted to acknowledge, but it was the truth. He abused my trust, and he ruined me. I was never insecure; I was never one to doubt or second guess things.

Now, it was all I ever did.