Tough Love Andy

Surprise!

Enjoy the update my friend... I may be swearing off the show until Surrera officially reunites, we get a kiss or something REAL happens that says they are coming back... but Surrera is still magic in my mind and fanfic fantasyland. So here we are. xx, Ash

Robert was making good time and grateful for it. The traffic on I-90W had been kind to him so far and he could only hope that would continue. There hadn't been any news or updates yet, so as he clenched and unclenched the steering wheel, he kept telling himself they would both be fine.

All he could do now was get there.

Seeing an unexpected name flash across the navigation screen of his Lexus SUV, Robert took a breath before answering the call.

"Slow down," the woman's voice came through the bluetooth speaker loud and clear.

He glanced at the dash quickly and saw the speedometer was inching past 85. While the speed limit on certain stretches of the highway was 70, making his speed not as over the limit as it sounded, she was right.

The last thing he needed was to waste time getting pulled over for a speeding ticket.

"Didn't expect to hear from you," Robert said, easing off the gas pedal.

"Contrary to how it might seem, I'm not actually an Ice Queen," Ross replied back easily.

They chuckled and it defrosted the mood a bit for them both.

"You drive too fast on a normal day... today is not a normal day," she added.

"Yeah..." Robert replied regrettably.

He braced himself for what he knew would be an awkward conversation.

"I wanted to be the one to tell you," His words were direct, but tone gentle.

Hearing deafening silence on the other end of the phone, but knowing she was still listening, Robert continued. "When Andy was ready to meet with you, I would have called or come to see you. We were clear on that"

"The best laid plans..." Natasha remarked bitterly. Her feelings were a melting pot of sadness, anger, love, worry.

At that moment she was concerned for Andy and her unborn child.

She'd never felt maternal, didn't think children were ever in the cards for her, but it would take a sociopath not to feel deeply for a woman who'd risked her life and the life of her unborn child to save another.

Further, she'd grown to respect Andy as a firefighter and a leader. Her being Robert's ex-wife hadn't ever seemed to be a factor until now.

Hindsight and the timing of it all said, it had been a clear oversight. She'd apparently been blind to whatever was still lingering under the surface between them.

And Robert...

Her heart was healing, she was moving on, dating. Yet somehow, finding out that Andy was pregnant and putting it together that he was the father managed to make her question whether or not she'd actually gotten over him.

Yes, she'd made some mistakes trying to balance her career and a romantic relationship, but she really thought they would figure it out and be able to make things work.

She wasn't someone who believed in fate per-say, but knowing what she knew now, couldn't help but wonder if they had been doomed from the beginning.

Like maybe her heart, her gut, her intuition wouldn't let her throw caution to the wind and go all in because Robert was never fully hers to begin with? Or maybe it was the question he'd asked her that morning he ended things,