chapter five

Chapter Five.

Following the basket-ball ceremony, I travel back to Charity's house to gather my belongings that I had left behind. As I sit in the back of her parent's vehicle, my mind wanders to Laiken Kerrivan, for I'm still trying to accept that this basket-ball superstar was the boy from the streets; the one who gave me a little hope at a moment of extreme weakness. Never in a million years would I have suspected that compassionate boy to be the pride and joy of Riverdale High.

"I'm just going to grab my bag," I say to Charity once we arrive.

I rip open the front door and dash up the stairs, skipping every second step. I quickly pop open her door and grab my book bag from the corner of her large bedroom. I pull the white dress down my body, feeling a wave of relief as it falls to the floor. I dig my hand into my book bag and draw out the clothes I had been previously wearing. I quickly throw my t-shirt over my head, and then slip into my jeans. I throw my book bag over my shoulder and jog out of her large room, heading toward the stairs. As I trot through the hallway, Samuel's bedroom door unexpectedly swings open, striking me and sending me plunging towards the ground.

"Oh, shit!" I hear someone exclaim as their body collides with mine, knocking them off their feet and sending them crashing as well.

Without time to stop myself, I roughly land on my back. I rapidly turn my head and firmly squeeze my eyes shut as a body hastily descends towards me. The person sticks out their hands to stop their body from completely crushing me, but with no time to react, the person lands on top of me. I chuckle softly as I gradually turn my head, only to find myself looking into the dazzling eyes of Laiken Kerrivan. A knot forms in my stomach as he stares down at me with a goofy grin on his face.

"My apologies," he says in a quiet voice while his body still lies across mine.

"You..." I whisper.

"Excuse me?" His eyebrows curve in confusion.

"It was you," I say, quietly.

A smirk jumps to Laiken's face before he pushes himself up, lifting his body off of me. He jumps to his feet and then holds his hand out for me. I glare at his hand in hesitation, but instead of pulling it away, Laiken only holds it out further. I sigh and place my hand in his, feeling his soft skin. Laiken grips onto my hand and pulls me off the ground, helping me to my feet.

"You seem surprised," Laiken says.

The truth is, I'm very surprised. The boy from that night ended up being Laiken Kerrivan, the most popular guy in school, and based on my past, Laiken Kerrivan is no different than any other arrogant jock. None of them truly care.

"I have experience with guys like you," I mumble.

"Guys like me?" Laiken questions, raising an eyebrow.

"I know what you're like," I explain. "You've probably told everyone about that night in the streets, and that I'm just a depressed little girl. I'm just not worth the time, right?"

He takes a step towards me, placing his face just inches from mine. He moves his lips next to my ear and whispers just loud enough for me to hear,

"You clearly don't know me very well."

Our conversation is interrupted when the door barges open, reveling Charity and her parents. They walk in and stare up at us, wondering what is occurring. Laiken glances to them before looking back at me.

"Well, Miss Lorenzo, I must be returning home. Are you in need of a ride?" he asks, politely.

"No, I'll walk," I mumble as I hold my book bag close to my side and run towards the door.