He pulled the steaks off, put the potatoes in a large bowl, and began mashing them. As he added the seasonings and butter, he glanced over his shoulder. Theia had moved to the couch, her knees tucked up to her chest, the long sleeves of Nyx's shirt covering her hands. She still looked nervous, but she was forcing a smile as Zenova talked rapidly.

Nyx kept his eyes on her as he laid bread in the pan to toast it, smothered it with butter and mashed potatoes, and laid the steak over it. It was a terrible meal, but he was starving and it was the quickest option. He readied three plates, cut the sandwiches, and bit into his.

"Lunch is ready," Nyx spoke around a mouthful of food. Zenova practically leapt from the couch and barreled into the kitchen. Nyx nearly choked on a piece of steak as she shoved him out of the way and began eating. He heard a small laugh, making him look up at Theia. Mother, she was beautiful. Her hair, unruly and awkwardly dried, was laid across her shoulder. She stood from the couch, Nyx's clothes baggy and devouring her shape, dark rings beneath her eyes from their lack of sleep the night before. She'd never looked better.

Theia walked toward him, her body still on edge from the aggression she had already experienced in their short time back. Nyx wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her into his body. He dropped a kiss to the top of her head and kept his arm around her as he ate. Theia leaned into his body and pulled the sleeves of her shirt up her arm. She hummed as she took a bite of the horrendous sandwich, her head dropping back against his chest.

Nyx smiled to himself. Her touch was a safety suit. Even when he wanted to kill her, every time her body touched his, his veins came alive. Nyx was sure that there would never be a time that he didn't want her. He'd fought it for so long, even in the depths of his despair, it was a relief to finally accept her.

Nyx finished his sandwich, though he didn't move. He let Theia lean against him, her body warm against his. He still hadn't changed from his Summer Court clothes. Theia sighed, placing a hand on her stomach as she finished her final bite. Nyx grinned, leaning down to brush his cheek against her ear.

"Why don't you go up and sleep? I'll join you soon."

Theia nodded, sleepy eyes blinking at him as she turned and rose up onto her toes, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek. She gave an awkward wave to Zenova as she hurried from the kitchen and up the stairs. Nyx watched her until her bare feet disappeared behind the elevated wall.

"So, you're really in love?" Zen's voice pulled Nyx from his trance. He leaned against the counter and looked over at her with a smile.

"I think so, yeah. I know I love her, and she's all I ever think about. I've loved her for a long time, but I don't think it was real until now."

Zen started to smile, but then her freckled nose scrunched and she punched him in the arm. "You're getting soft, Nyxie-poo. Maybe you should join me at training tomorrow."

It wasn't a bad idea. He hadn't trained in over a month. Nyx glanced at the stairs again. If he went to training, he could use that time to mentally prepare to meet with his father. He always had the clearest head while fighting.

"Sure, I'll come with you. Maybe I'll convince one of the trainers to use me as demonstration." Nicholas or Adonis would surely entertain him.

"Our camp lord has been especially irritating ever since my father has been harassing him. Maybe duel with him so his ego is bruised," Zen snorted, finishing off her glass of water and putting the plates into the sink.

Nyx rose a brow. He remembered the camp lord. Silas. The male who Theia was with for months- or was it years? Either way, he'd love to get into a duel with him, mention how he stole her away to the Summer Court. That would start a satisfying fight.

"I have some studying on battle strategy. They're testing us in a couple days and I haven't read much. I'll see you for dinner?" Zen asked, snatching a few carrots from the basket and refilling her glass of water. Nyx was too busy thinking about sending a fist into Silas's face to answer, so he grunted and waved her off. Zen's bedroom door shut loudly upstairs and it jerked Nyx back into reality. He let out a sigh, turning and starting to wash the dirtied dishes.

His life had been entirely out of sorts in the past months. Now that Theia was his, and he was meeting with his father, he needed to find a routine again. Nyx dried the final dish and made his way upstairs, already feeling drained and desperate for the comfort Theia offered.

He pushed open his bedroom door, seeing his lover curled up on the right side of the bed, her body nearly falling off with how close she was to the edge. Nyx sighed and pulled off his clothes, leaving them in a pile on the floor. He pulled on lounge pants and walked around to the left side of the bed. He climbed in, not bothering with the blankets as he took Theia's waist and pulled her body to his.

She sucked in a breath, teary eyes blinking at him. He could see the exhaustion on her face; physically and mentally. They'd been up all night doing various activities, and then she had dealt with Cassian and Zenova. He knew that she was uncomfortable with being in Windhaven, and terrified of going to Velaris and being around his father, though she wouldn't admit it. He wanted to give her the comfort she gave him.

Nyx tucked an arm beneath her head, pulling her face to his chest. Her legs curled up against his hip, her hand sliding across his stomach. He could feel the tension slipping from her muscles, how she melted into his body. His fingers slid beneath her hair, his hand holding her head to him. He felt her breath him in and she relaxed a little more.

It was an invasion, sure, but Nyx waited until Theia's guard was down. As she fell into sleep, he pushed himself into her mind. He didn't search through her memories, but plucked a specific one. A memory he wanted her to dream about. It was one he was fond of: Back when they first were together, when they'd gone to Rita's with the family. Theia had been jealous of the females at the pleasure houses calling to him. He remembered her pink cheeks and scrunched nose, the way she fought to find the words.

Later that night, after they'd gone a few rounds, she'd confessed her love to him. It had been in the heat of the moment, her body calling to his, but she chanted those words and he said them right back. They were so young, so naive- maybe foolish- but he remembered it often. He'd dream of her beneath him, crying out that she loved him as he kissed her throat. Maybe it would make her say those words again.