Chapter 14 - Breaking the Dating Ice

Start from the beginning

They are proudly wearing the school's white golf shirt with the red and black logo printed on the right of their chests. Delia has her hair in a ponytail behind her head, but Kira's is in two cheeky tails on either side of her head, tied with red ribbons. Seeing her in that outfit with her frilly knee-high bobby socks and sneakers is possibly the cutest thing I've seen in years.

They look like anime high school girls! I really expect them to come running over, shouting: "Notice me, Senpai!" They don't, though... and I'm a little disappointed.

This could only have been Delia's idea. Kicks does not like drawing attention to herself, and right now, she is drawing a lot of it, and I might have to start punching my friends because a few of them are visibly ogling my sister and my girlfriend, and I don't like it. Sure, they're looking extremely sexy right now, but come on!

I swear I can hear Kira's brain screaming all the way from here. She must really hate this. I doubt that I'll be able to convince her to dress like this all the time, but at least I can tick one fantasy off my list! Yeah, I have a list... I didn't mention that list to Kira last night. The last time I told her and Deli about my fantasies, I got beaten up...

She looks like she should be going: "Oops, I did it again..." like Britney Speares in that ancient music video, but her face didn't get the memo, so she's about to go: "Oops, get me the hell outa here," instead.

Laughing, I move away from the group to go save her from herself because if she runs away now, I may never get her back again. Yup, she's already spinning around on her heel, full steam ahead, aiming for the school gate. Fortunately, I run a lot faster than she does, even when she has a head start, and I catch up before she's even started running. I wrap my arms around her from behind and pull her into a comforting hug, startled to hear her squeak in fright.

I'm comforting her! Why is she squeaking?!

"Hey, where are you running off to?" I ask gently, trying to calm her down, but now I'm the one in danger of running away. Holding Kira feels so good, and she smells like heaven... as usual... My brain is gone, replaced by a soggy sponge saturated with hormones and adrenaline, and I'm having some difficulty remembering what I was going to do.

"I can't do this; I'm sorry," she mutters, reminding me, and I can feel her trembling. The poor girl is either completely terrified or nervous beyond control. I didn't mean to do this to her. How do I fix this?!

"Please don't say that," I whisper, turning her to face me while I lightly, unthreateningly hold onto her hands, small and delicate in mine. Whenever I'm holding Kira or Deli, it scares me how fragile they feel, like little birds. I don't want Kira to be nervous and scared, but I'm not going to allow her just to run away, either. There has to be a better way to handle this.

"You look really cute; it's a nice touch," I grin, trying to act normal, hoping that it will make her feel normal too. "But I swear I would've been fine with you showing up in your favourite denim shorts and that 'I'm a turtle, hear me roar' t-shirt you're always wearing. That makes absolutely no sense to me, by the way."

I smile at her, a little nervous now too, afraid that she is really going to run away and call us quits before we've even begun. Delia shouldn't have done the whole outfits thing. I know she was just messing around, having fun, but she knows how uncertain Kira is about all of this. I flash my sister a disapproving frown, and she just winks at me and links her arm with Simon's, leaning her head against his bicep. Poor Simon looks a little over-heated himself, and he didn't take part in any sports-related warm-up exercises. 

My sister is killing the guy!

Well, apparently, she thinks I've got this, so I return my eyes to Kira and smile at her some more, hoping to break through the walls she is erecting around her. I swear, I can see little builder fairies stacking up the bricks while giving me the finger. I'm not as confident about my abilities to calm Kira down as Deli is. I know I'm very skilled at riling the girl up and turning her to violence. That I have no doubts about.