"What are you implying right now?" tanong ko. The aura of the garden became dense as our intense gaze occupied the space. "It was the Emperor's request to raise the child. Roshan merely—-"

"The Duke merely agreed to take the consequence that he shouldn't have taken," he cut me off. Napoleon bore emotionless eyes even when his entire expression is smiling. "If only he agreed to my decision to take her away from here and let her live peacefully, none of it would have happened. He thinks she is safe in these borders, but look where she is now."

"Your method that time is risky for a pregnant woman, especially that she's in the peak of giving birth," I said firmly. "It was also your fault that she died, because you insisted on fleeing at that crucial moment!"

"That child shouldn't have been born," he muttered. Nagsisitaasan na ang aming mga boses. He pointed his forefinger at me. "He accepted that child out of guilt, out of remorse. If he could just stop thinking about his own pain, then it would have—-"

"She is a Reidensteigh!" I cut him off this time. Napatigil si Napoleon dahil sa sinabi ko. He let out a frustrating groan and moved his eyes away before he slammed his body on the back chair. "Her blood is a royal, Napoleon. That is why Roshan took the responsibility. Mas may ginawa siya kasya sa 'yo. You turn your back when she dies. If you truly think of Annabelle as your little sister, you should have protected the child."

"I can't accept her father," he firmly said without looking at me. "But I feel at ease that I cannot see any fucking resemblance of that fucking man with her aside from his blood."

"You have to understand how overbearing it was for the Duke," I whispered. Nasasaktan ako para sa taong minamahal ko, kaya hindi ko maitago ang nararamdaman ko ngayon. "He lost his lover, as well as his brother. He both lost you that time, Napoleon. But, look at what is happening now, despite the distant feelings, he is helping you."

"It still feels the same, Duchess," he uttered. His voice was laden with displeasure and opposition. "No matter how hard he tries to compensate for her death, he can never bring her back to life."

"I know," I uttered. "But he is trying."

Hindi sumagot si Napoleon, bagkus napaismid lamang siya at mas lalong iniwas ang kanyang tingin. This is giving me a headache. Men and their ego is sure hard to align. Minasahe ko na lamang ang aking sinsitido dahil sa namumuong stress sa sistema ko.

"Anyway," putol ko sa namumuong katahimikan. "Annika is celebrating her fifth birthday next week—-"

"It's her mother's death anniversary, and you have the guts to be happy that day?" bigla niyang putol sa sasabihin ko. Bakas ang disgusto at lumot ng nakaraan sa boses niya.

"I know, but it is not the child's fault she's born," I firmly said. "The Duke already agreed that we will celebrate it in the manor. If you feel uncomfortable, you are freely allowed to leave that day."

He just let out a scoff. "Does he dare celebrate a birthday on the day his lover died? How much have you manipulated in his brain that he is moving on that fast?" he uttered.

"It will be five years since then," I replied. I could feel my voice was trying to give him a hint of how long it has been. "Don't let your life be trapped in the past, Lord of the State. Although I am not tarnishing a belief, being obsessed with that loss is not healthy."

"Don't teach me, Latisha Reidensteigh," he uttered firmly. "I did not come here bearing any rumors. I know who you are and what the Duchy is trying to hide. You have the Duke on your fingers. And with a single word from you, he might attack the Empire effortlessly."

"Kung saan mo man narinig ang mga haka-haka na 'yan, lahat ng mga ito ay walang kabuluhan," mariin na saad ko. "The Duke holds his own decisions. Kung hindi mo man tanggap ang pagbabago sa kanya, hindi ko na kasalanan 'yon."