Chapter Eighteen - Election Night Results

Start from the beginning

"I won't ask again," Kayce glared, while Oakley tightened her hold on his arm.

"Mrs. Dutton, would you like to comment for your husband?" The guy was walking backward.

"Excuse me?" Oakley asked. "Get off our property!"

"It's just a comment," The guy stopped, now a few feet away from them.

The pen and pad of paper were held in his hand while his cell phone was pointed at Oakley and Kayce...probably recording.

"You're on private property," Kayce growled. "If you want a comment from me or my office then you can call during work hours."

Kayce started to walk toward the guy.

"But you don't get to come to my home and harass my family," Kayce continued while the guy started to walk away again.

"Sorry, Commissioner," The guy fumbled over a rock.

"You do it again," Kayce threatened. "And I'll pull my gun without question."

"Just like with those other reporters?" The guy challenged.

Oakley felt her heart drop out of her chest. She looked at Kayce, unaware of what his face looked like since he was in front of her.

"The only reporter I know about is the idiot in front of me right now," Kayce said. "Now get the fuck out of here."

The guy turned on his heels and jogged off to the entrance of the ranch. Kayce looked back over his shoulder at Oakley with a scowl on his face. Oakley took a deep breath, feeling her tight muscles constrict...her breath was seen in the porch lights now coming on.

"Come on," Kayce walked back over to Oakley, placing his hand on the small of her back and lading her back down to the cabin.

When they got there Lloyd left and Tate was finishing up his homework. Kayce glanced at Oakley before he walked back out and headed to the bunkhouse. Oakley frowned, feeling on edge now as she went over to where Tate was at the dining table. She reached for her phone and called Beth.

**

"There were reporters at the ranch?" Beth asked.

"Yeah," Oakley nodded. "About ten or so...then this one guy popped out at Kayce and me when we thought they all had gone."

Oakley was in the bedroom, sitting on the edge of the bed. While she knew Tate could hear if he wanted to, she also knew he wasn't probably interested in her conversation with Beth.

"Did Kayce kill him?" Beth asked.

"No, that seems to be your husband's handy work," Oakley sighed.

"Funny," Beth said. "But they're all gone now?"

"From what we can see," Oakley answered. "Are you at the results watch-party thing?"

"Yeah," Beth said. "Early voting results should be coming in here within the hour."

"Okay," Oakley nodded. "Hey, Beth? In case no one knows they're supposed to thank you for your work the last few months...thank you for all that you've done." 

"Sounds like you think Jamie won," Beth chuckled.

"No," Oakley rolled her eyes. "I'm being serious here with you as your friend."

"Thanks, Oaks," Beth sighed. "This has been pretty brutal."

"I'm sure," Oakley heard the front door open and close. "I think Kayce is back...I'll talk to you later?"