Not The Kind Of Dream Anyone Else Would Want

MESSAGE FROM THE AUTHOR:

I hope everyone who's reading this understands what's going on. If you do, good on you. I wasn't trying to make the story difficult to understand, but I admit it rambles on a bit/ a lot. And I don't know how to swap to bold writing, so this is the only way I can make sure the reader (that's you) understands this isn't part of the story. PS. Arex is pronounced R-X, in case you haven't guessed.

MESSAGE ENDS HERE.

Chapter 2-

I seemed to be in some kind of large, white landscape. And it didn't even feel like a real dream. While my dreams were usually repetitive and blurry, I had never seen this place before and I could see everything as if it was in high-definition. It was kind of scary. Actually very scary. Especially since I could sense someone behind me, watching me. I spun around to see the man I had seen in the bookstore. Okay, I thought, it's just a scary dream. Nothing was wrong. I pinched myself to wake myself up. And what happened next was what really scary. I could feel the pain, see myself pinching myself, but nothing happened. I didn't wake up. The man smirked.

'Did you really think it would be so easy to get away from me?'.

'No,' I replied, astounded by my own bravey by actually talking to this guy, 'but I hoped.'.

He smirked, but still kept his distance. 'You're far too self-confident for your own good. Shame, really. I would have preferred a chosen one I could manipulate.'. He took a step forward.

I took one back. 'Chosen one? Really! I don't even believe in prophecies or whatever you're talking about, much less that I'm the subject of one.'.

I never saw it coming. He sprinted, faster then humanly possible, towards me. He reached me, and arched my head back.

'So, Sophia. You don't believe in prophecies? Shame. I was hoping you'd have a little more faith in me.'. He let my head back and stepped backwards, still smirking.

'Who.... Do... You ... Think... You.... Are?' I asked between shallow breaths, clutching my throat.

' Simple. A person who wants you gone, named Arex. And trust me, no-one has ever managed to get away from me before, so you might as well not try.'. He walked away into the empty white background, and disappeared in a flash of black. I tried to go after him, but my feet remained rooted to the spot. Whoever this Arex guy was, I wanted him gone as well. Then my dreams strayed to my usual ones, albeit with a few nightmares about Arex thrown in. Then I awoke, not to the usual sound of my alarm clock, but to my phone. Seroiusly? What kind of person texts people at three o'clock am?

ANONYMOUS: Someone is out to get you. We can protect you. Come to the main coffee shop down the street at four-thirty. You will recognize us when you see us.

I stared. Seriously, had the writer even HEARD of text shorthand? I quickly texted back.

S.ARDEN: No thanks. Don't go anywhere with strangers. :)

I snorted. Bet the people who sent the message wasn't expecting that. I mean, what on earth had they meant? Someone is out to get me? Unless.... I froze. Did the sender know about Arex? If so, I just made the biggest mistake of my life, meeting Arex included. My phone pinged. I typed up the password and checked for any new messages.

ANONYMOUS: Your loss. Looks like there's no chance of you ever finding Arex now.

My estimation of my own intelligence just hit an all time low. Seriously, if life had an undo button, I would probably end up using it non-stop. Oh well. I turned off my phone and headed back off to sleep, right after sending them a final text message

S.ARDEN: How do I know you're not Arex himself?

I fell right back into a fitful slumber.

The next morning went the normal way. I got up to my alarm clock, got changed into school clothes and ate breakfast. It was on the way to school that things went a bit awry. I realised, halfway on the way walking to school, that I'd left my pencil case behind. I had been chatting to Christina for the whole way, and did not want to go back for my stuff. I'd be late for school if I did, as well. Never the less, I turned back, telling Christina to head on without me.

'C'mon. Can't you do without it?' Christina whined. 'It's so boring heading off to school without anyone!'.

'Sorry, there's no way I can do without it today. I've got double art.' I replied. And off I went, by myself. Once I'd turned the next corner I saw a young girl sitting by herself on a bench nearby. I recognized her from school. At the time, I thought her name was Clara or something old fashioned like that. I went up to her.

'Hey. You go to Terrian College, don't you? Clara, wasn't it?'.

She turned to me. 'Yeah, I do. But my name's not Clara. Its Laura. Sophia, right?'.

Dammit. I was way off. 'Yep. Why aren't you coming to school today? Don't you feel well?'.

'Nah, just don't feel like it. By the way, your pencil case? It's at school.'.

Ok. That was scary. 'How do you know about that? Are you a mind reader?'.

'Something like that. Shouldn't you be on your way now?' She turned away and simply disappeared before my eyes.

'She's just like Arex.' I thought. And then ran away as far as my legs would take me.