Part 2

The creature's and the princess's days went on for years. The smiling child would wander and happen upon the creature, not knowing that it was he who cursed her all those years ago, and they would spend the day together. They would play adventure, the creature would tell her stories of faraway lands and magic, and she would help care for the creatures of the forest alongside him.

"What is this place?" She one day asked softly. They had wandered deeper into the forest, as they usually did. Entering a surreal realm full of magic and wonderful beings.

"Home. My home." He answered softly.

Over the years Aurora had learned that the creature did not like to speak. It hurt his voice to do so, and it hurt his face to show much expression, so he showed his emotions with his eyes. The princess had never questioned it before, but she had always wondered. Why did her friend look like that? Burned and charred all over? His pet raven signed as well? She would never ask, of course. It was a hard thing for him to talk about and he preferred to stay away from such conversations.

"Your home is lovely! Is this where your raven is from?" The now twelve-year-old princess asked as she hopped onto some stones peaking above the water of a flowing river.

"Yes. Diaval is from these lands, he was born here. I came to them many years ago and made my home here with him." the creature nodded slightly, moving to sit at the base of what must be this place's version of a willow tree.

"Wonderful! It is absolutely lovely!" Aurora declared again, laughing as she and Diaval began to play in the water with the other creatures.

Hours passed, the sun moved in the sky, and soon it was nearly night. The Creature stood and gathered up the princess and the raven so they could make their way back to her home. They talked softly as they walked, carrying the little princess and the raven hopping from branch to branch overhead.

"You'll never guess what the nanny told me today." Aurora sleepily murmured as her eyes began to drift shut.

"Hmm?"

"She said that soon I will meet with my mother and father. And that I'll get to live in a palace!" She sleepily declared joyfully "She told me that I'm a Princess and that on my sixteenth birthday they will take me back home, to my family. I don't know why I had to leave it, but she said it was because some horrible witch put a curse on me." With a final sigh, the child fell asleep in the creature's arms. Not noticing that he had stopped walking as she was speaking. He was frozen to the spot, darkness flooding the forest as the sunset. Time seemed frozen to him, and he only broke from his trance when he heard the shouting of guards begin to grow closer.

Still, in some bit of this trance, he was not able to react quickly enough. So soon guards rounded around trees and boulders and saw him holding the princess. These guards knew who he was, and what he had done to her on her birthday twelve years ago, so they managed to attack him. The creature snapped awake, placing the princess down and teleporting himself and the raven away in a blizzard of smoke.

When it cleared, the princess was sitting awake sleepily on the ground. The barest whisper could be heard by her over the sounds of the guards shouting.

"Happy birthday, little princess."

And so the night of her thirteenth birthday passed. The next day was full of commotion, servants packing, guards running around, the fairies flitting everywhere nervously.

"What's happening?" The newly thirteen-year-old princess asked softly, her violet eyes scanning her packed-up home with worry.

It was explained to her that, last night in her sleep, she had been taken by the horrible monster who had cursed her thirteen years ago. And that by some miracle he slipped up and left her behind when he teleported. The King and Queen had already heard of this and demanded that the princess be brought back home at once. The summer cottage was no longer safe, and they believed she would be safer in the castle, with her family.

The princess and all of her belongings, servants, guards, and nannies, were quickly brought to the castle in the center of the kingdom. Forcing Aurora away from her friend that she had made so many years ago, forcing her away from him without any answers to her many questions.

Once she had arrived at the castle she learned that there was no reason for her to have been excited to come here and meet her parents. The castle was awful, the people were awful, and they were awful.

The King and Queen didn't treat her like their daughter, they didn't even treat her like a child. They forced her to act in a 'princessly' way and to start reviewing suitors. She was starved in order to lose weight and gain a prettier figure, her hair was ruined as the maids of the castle and her mother used product after product on it to make it more 'in style'. Soon her violet eyes lost the shine they had once held, her smiling fading with it.

She would lay awake at night, on her beautiful bedspreads and silken sheets, and cry. She missed her old way of life. The freedom, the sun, the love she had experienced then. All of her personal servants went back to their old ways once they arrived here. Becoming cold, cruel, and gossipy. Even her nannies had betrayed her, leaving to go back to their homes now that they didn't need to care for her. She felt so alone, with no nannies, animals, or her friend to comfort her.

So she cried herself to sleep at night. Every night. For the next three years.

On the day before her sixteenth birthday Aurora sat before a standing mirror as maids and her mother fussed over her appearance. They covered bruises left by her father's disciplines, they covered her hollowed cheeks left by her mother's obsession with her figure, and they tried to cover the lost sparkle and false smile that left with her old life.

She was to throw a grand party tonight, on the night of her sixteenth birthday. It was the first time her birthday had ever been celebrated. It was also the night that the curse was supposed to take effect.

Her parents insisted that it was all planned out. She would meet a long list of suitors tonight and fall in love with one. They would be engaged, and when she fell into her cursed sleep, he would recuse her with a true love's kiss.

She was not enthusiastic about the prospects of this evening. But she had no choice but to go along with her parents' whims. To be that perfect princess they had been forcing her to be these past three years.

The celebration occurred, guests arriving in droves with gifts and greetings, suitors arriving in nearly as many numbers with even more gifts and the unfortunate flirting and evening walks to 'grow close'.

The night passed, and the celebration ended. Aurora had found no love, but her parents had. A wealthy, handsome young prince from the neighboring kingdom. They were strong and powerful and very very rich, was it mentioned that they were incredibly rich? Her parents decided then and there, that the two were in love. He might have been, but she was not. It didn't matter though, for they were engaged, and she was sent off to bed shortly after.

In her room, she found a spinning wheel, with a beautifully carved and sharp needle sitting on its peak.