Seventy One

Ares

"Natalia, are you sure about this?" I glance nervously at my wife.

"Are you scared, Ares?" My wife tilts her head at me, pausing getting dressed.

"No. I'm not afraid." I furrow my eyebrows. I'm scared shitless but I'm not going to tell her that.

"I can take Sofia with me?" Natalia looks at me, a little unsure.

"No, we'll be fine. Go to the spa, have a good time." I wrap my arms around her waist and kiss her neck.

"I'm going to miss you all while I'm away." Natalia threads her fingers with mine as I hold her.

"It's just a day. You'll be home by dinner time and you can give kisses and cuddles." I kiss her neck again. "That's just for me, I mean you can kiss the kids too." She laughs and it makes my heart soar.

"Smooth talker." She kisses my cheek before grabbing her necklace and putting it on. I watch her put on heels and grab her purse. I follow her out of our closet and over to Sofia's bassinet. She picks her up placing a dozen kisses on her cheeks as she does the newborn scrunch. I hope she doesn't stop doing that anytime soon because it's the cutest thing.

"Mama's going to miss you so much, angel." Natalia holds her to her chest. She already nursed her this morning so Sofia just grunts and raises her arms above her head.

"Give her here. You better run before the other two wake up and you won't be able to leave McKenna." I take Sofia from her arms and kiss her lips. "Go, my love."

"I'm going." She sighs. "Camille is coming with me, and we're picking up Zuri on the way."

I nod but don't engage with anymore conversation. I know she's stalling. She sighs again before we exchange I love yous and she leaves.

"It's just you and me kid. Until your siblings decide to get out of bed." I grab the wrap and tie Sofia to my chest. I might as well workout and do something productive. Ekaterina is here and the kids usually go get her when they don't find us in our room.

I head down to the home gym and was extra careful during my workout not to jostle Sofia too much. I get most of the way through before I hear McKenna screaming and crying. I sigh before racking my weights and heading upstairs. I find Ekaterina in the nursery trying to calm my middle child.

"What's all this about?" I walk into the room and see the water works show my toddler is putting on for her grandmother.

"Daddy!" McKenna gets up off the floor and runs to me while still crying her little eyes out.

"What's the matter with my little princess?" I ask, scooping her up in one of my arms being extra careful of Sofia.

"Daddy." McKenna whines as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"She got very upset when she couldn't find you or her M-A-M-A." Ekaterina spells it out so McKenna doesn't freak out again.

"Did you miss me, bambina?" I kiss her head as Ekaterina starts to take Sofia of my chest. I need a shower. "How about I make you breakfast, then Daddy needs a shower."

"Don't take this the wrong way Ares, but you definitely need a shower." Ekaterina makes a face as she looks down at Sofia. "Baby Sofia needs one too." She leaves the room and heads to the kids bathroom.

"Where's your brother?" I ask McKenna. She lays her head on my shoulder and points towards his room.

"Nicholas?" I poke my head into his bedroom and find him playing cars on the floor. "Do you want to help me make breakfast?"

"Okay, Daddy." Nicholas jumps up and comes running towards me, "Where's Mama?" He asks as he takes my hand.

"Mama!" McKenna whimpers.

I sigh as we head downstairs, "Let's not bring her up today okay, buddy? It makes McKenna sad. She'll be home by dinner." Nicholas nods as we get the pancakes started. As we're eating, Ekaterina comes downstairs with Sofia. She holds her with one arm and eats with the other.

"Do you want me to take her?" I nod to the baby in her arms.

"No we're good. You can shower when you're done and I'll take the kids to the sunroom." She smiles at McKenna and Nicholas who both give her toothy grins. That's the second time she's told me to shower. I must stink.

Natalia

Oh my god, this is amazing."

I chuckle at Zuri. I treated us to massages and I have to agree with her. It's amazing.

"Definitely worth it." I groan as Christina, my masseuse, digs into a particularly tight spot in my shoulder.

"Thank you for this Natalia. I couldn't tell you the last time I did something for me."

"No problem. I honestly think that Ares was about to kick me out of the house if I didn't do something soon, so thank you for keeping me company." I chuckle and we remain quiet for the rest of the massage.

"How are your kids?" I ask Zuri as we walk in for our manicures and pedicures.

"They're adjusting. Adama and Ada seem to be fine. They don't really remember. My oldest son Ayaan? He is struggling." She sighs as we relax into the chairs.

"I couldn't even imagine. You're so strong." I reach over and take her hand. I wouldn't be able to function if Ares died. "Your children will be okay, because they have you as a mother."

"Thank you, Natalia." Zuri smiles and we go back to relaxing. My phone goes off and I check it quickly in case it's about the kids.

"My sister and her girlfriend want to have a late lunch together. Do you mind if they meet us here?" I look over at Zuri, who shakes her head.

"No I don't mind at all." She smiles.

I look at the time; 5 hours until I get to see my babies.