Chapter 1

You told me think about it, well I did
Now I don't wanna feel a thing anymore
I'm tired of begging for the things that I want
I'm over sleeping like a dog on the floor

***

   I have been pacing back and forth in the kitchen for hours now. Who would tell me that after so long, her true character would emerge in the surface. I didn't know she was like that. We have been through so many obstacles together. But eventually, we've managed to overcome them.

I used to believe in us. In our love, in our passion. We've come so far to ruin it all now.

But she... She.

I interrupt my thoughts by sighing. I finally sit down and lie my head on our wooden table. I shut my eyes. My body is still so tensed and it's not even my fault. It's her fault.

It's just all too much for me to take in. She had promised me she wouldn't play cards in her life again. It was a promise that, as it seems, she didn't manage to keep. What's worse about it, is that I feel betrayed by her. I had seen the signs, and I had asked, if there's something wrong. She said, no. I believed her. I always believe her. But this time, she lied to me. How could she? How could she not respect our bond, our family? She's well aware of how much I hate lies, but she did lie to me.

I'm a man of honor. I'm a 26 year old doctor. I save lives and tell people the truth about their health, even if it's not that easy to realize.

But my woman, my wife, my soul mate, my Evelyn, who made a promise, lies to me and now we owe money to these bastards. It's not that I can't afford to pay for it, I just don't like lies and that's why I don't wanna pay for it.

That's why we just fought. She might have asked sorry, but I don't know how to forgive her. I've been nothing but good with her all these years, and I don't want Alice who's 3 years old, to grow up and realize that her mom was poker addicted or whatever. I don't even know how to play cards, for God's sake.

I can hear her footsteps from behind me. I'd recognize them anywhere. However, I don't move. I stay still.

She places her hand on my shoulder, I breathe out. "Harry..."I can hear her whispering my name.

Finally, I manage to swallow and I turn around to look at her. Her eyes are reddened up and her lips are swollen. She was crying. Usually that would break my heart, but right now, I am not going to let it break.

" What do you want Evelyn?" I asked her, staring into her eyes with audacity.

"Can we talk please?" there was something about her voice that almost broke me. Almost.

"No. We have nothing to talk about. Go play cards with those motherfuckers" I get up and move to the living room. I can hear her sighing, but she follows me.

"Harry, please" she is begging me. I'm not going to forgive her this time. It's the third time she reneges on her promise.

I groan and turn around. "What the fuck do you want!" I'm mad. Anyone can tell.

"To talk..." she hesitates. I can hear the shame in her voice. She's ashamed. As she should.

"I'm not gonna pay for your bullshit again Evelyn! Get that out of your fucking brain!" this time I shout.

"But... I told you I'm sorry..." she lowers her head instead of looking at me directly in my eyes, just like I do.

"Do you think with just a sorry you can fix everything?" i really don't care if I'm hurting her right now. I want her to feel the pain that I am feeling.