Chapter Twelve

Začít od začátku

"Here" Layton said, once we left City Council and sat in an expensive restaurant for something to eat. He handed me a gold wedding band, to show I belonged to him. He slipped one onto his own martial finger, as I pushed mine on. It fitted perfect. He lifted my hand to his lips, once more, and kissed the ring.

As we ate, I made sure to drink only a small amount of the wine – after my last encounter with the liquor. I ordered a pasta, while Layton had a bloody steak. There was a comfortable, calm, silence between us; both of us eating and occasionally sharing a smile. "What's the plan?" I blurted suddenly. Layton paused in his eating. "I mean, like, what do you have planned?"

Layton looked at me for a moment, before answering. "The first step in my plan was find the perfect mate. I've done that. Second part is a pup – after a month of being with my mate. Then, thirdly, raise the pup with my mate. And when our eldest pup turns eighteen, I will retire as Alpha".

I listened to his plan – quietly, taking it in. "You're assuming we'll have a male pup". I knew that Layton had old fashioned ideals, so would only allow a male as a future Alpha. Shockingly, I agreed with him. Maybe it was sexist of me, but I believed an Alpha should be male and the Alpha Female should simply support.

"If our pup is a girl, then we'll keep having pups until we get a boy" Layton shrugged. I pouted slightly, as I thought over everything.

"Something's you can't control Layton. Life is like the weather, it can be predicted but it doesn't mean it's going to pan out that way". I offered him a smile, before taking his hand over the table. "One day you'll realise that it's okay not to be perfect. Sometimes imperfection is better than perfection".

The following week I spent with Layton went by quickly. Every day he would work throughout the day, before coming home and spending his evenings with me. We got into a comfortable routine; dinner, TV, cuddle and then sometimes have sex. It was a nice routine, very mundane and comfortable. Almost too mundane and comfortable.

"Layton, I'm bored" I blurted out, a week later, as we cuddled on the couch. It was late evening, almost night. Layton pulled away from our embrace for a second, to look at me.

"Bored of what?" he asked, suspicion laced in his tone.

"During the days. It's boring here, lonely. I want to do something" I told him. Layton looked at me closely, as if he had just remembered I was there. I suspected that he didn't really think about the fact that I was bored and alone during the day, it just wasn't something that would cross his mind. 

"What do you want?" he finally questioned.

"You know the attic?" I asked, and he nodded. "Can I turn it into a library? I was hoping you'd take me into the local town and I can buy some paint and other things. I want to build the library up as we get older".

Layton nodded slowly, before smiling slightly. "It'll need a good clean up there, it's full of crap. But, if you want to, you can do it up".

"Thank you, I just need a project to entertain me".