He licked his lips, reclining backwards in his own chair. "Do you have any kings?" Violet huffed, pulling out her three kings and handing them over. "Do you have any fours?" The witch's jaw slacked, handing over three fours. "What about sixes?"

"Ha! Go fish!"

The door opened, and Legolas came in with Flufflepuff on his shoulder. The Pygmy Puff jumped down, grabbing on to Violet's shoulder with his claws. She hissed in pain, but saw no blood. "What are you two doing?"

Thranduil smiled at his son, holding up his cards in the air. "Violet is teaching me a new card game, ioneg. I am going to teach her how to play 'taphaen-mîn' next."

"Hello, Legolas," Violet said, smiling. Her gut twisted at the sight of the ellon she considers one of her best friends. It was guilt. The witch didn't enjoy hiding her relationship from someone so important.

But it was for the best. Legolas hadn't exactly been rude about her feelings for his father, and she knew that, but he most certainly was uncomfortable with them. New relationships can be so fragile, and how could she and Thranduil go on without support? At least hiding it, they didn't truly have to face the waters mounting up against them. It was for the best.

Right?

"Hello, mellon nîn. May I join?" Legolas asked, a large smile placed onto his face, rocking back and forth on his heels. "'Tis my favorite game Violet. Did adar tell you how the elves came up with taphaen-mîn?"

Legolas took a seat beside her, and Thranduil had felt that this is all he would ever need. His heart was full. He was content. He was happy. The only thing missing was his brother.

"He did not," she said, looking at her cards, "Do you have any fives?" Thranduil handed over a singular five. "In that ginormous pile of cards you're holding, you only have one five?"

"Yes!" Thranduil exclaimed. Legolas watched as her face twisted, half between accusation and shock. She leaned forward, letting her cards tip back almost unconsciously. Legolas kept his eyes on his father, whose eyes trailed downward to the cards Violet held without the witch noticing.

"Alright, do you have any jacks?"

"My apologies, but I don't know what a jack is. Are you by chance asking about the guards?"

Violet rolled her eyes. "Yes, I am asking about the guards, you irritating man. And just for the record, they're called jacks in muggle cards."

"Well, we're playing with elvish cards, so make it correct."

Legolas sat back, crossing his arms over his stomach, watching with amusement at the two's spat. "You two are like children."

"No we're not!" they said in unison, turning back to laugh with each other.

"Children," Legolas muttered.

"Now," said Violet, "do you have any guards?"

Thranduil looked up with a large grin. "Nope!"

Violet's head shot towards Legolas, a very irritated expression. "Will you please check if he's lying?"

Legolas laughed boisterously, nodding. He got up, peering over his father's shoulder. "No, he's telling the truth. But, why are you holding completed sets in your hand? Lay them down on the table."

Thranduil looked up, confused. "I'm supposed to do that?"

"Yes!"

"Well, how was I supposed to know?! She didn't tell me!" Thranduil said, gesturing towards Violet. When he saw how tight her hands were gripping the cards, he smacked them, lightly, of course. "Stop bending my cards. They are not the source of your ire."