Chapter Six

Liv sat at a desk, looking down at the picture of her daughter, her mind racing as two squads raced around her completing their work.
"Hey" El smiled as he slipped into a chair near her.
"Hey" she smiled back.
"What are you thinking about?"
"How things could've been different. A thousand possibilities. A thousand other parallel universes with chances we didn't take. What if I kept her? What if my mother wasn't raped? What if Burton really loved me?"
"You'll drive yourself crazy trying to answer those questions"
"Yeah. I just wish our universe could be perfect" she sighed.
"If it was perfect we would be out of a job" they both smiled.
"Yes, but at least no one would be hurting"
"Are you? Hurting?"
"No, I just- I just wish I could go back and change some of my decisions"
"But you wouldn't change her for the world" he picked up at the picture and looked over it.
"What makes you say that?"
"Parents don't take back their kids. I see it in your eyes Liv. You love her with everything you've got and she'd be lucky to have you" he smiled, taking her hand across the table.
"Truthfully. I'm scared to find her. Scared that she'll hate me for giving her up. Scared that she'll reject me because of Burton. I'm just completely scared"
"That's normal, but you? If I've learnt anything from today it's that you can conquer anything" she smiled.
"It doesn't scare you? Or make you want to beat someone up? Maybe punch a hole in a wall?" They laughed lightly.
"No Liv. It only makes me want to never leave you again" he admitted, frowning as he looked at their joint hands "I should've been there" he muttered.
"No, you shouldn't have. If you had been there you would've come to check on me and he would've made you watch as he tortured me, and then he would've raped me just to see the pain on your face. You made the best choice for your family, I don't get to be mad about that. I've have nearly 10 years to get over this El. I'm not mad anymore, I've moved past it all" she smiled.
"After we lock up Burton, can we talk? About everything?"
"Of course" she nodded, running her thumb over the hand that held hers "I look forward to it"