Chapter 16 - A woman of taste.

Start from the beginning

Reality being: I was Ashley's first, serious relationship with a woman and maybe it was too much to ask her to be sure about where we'd be in five years after only dating a few months.

The issue was, I was fairly certain where I wanted this relationship to end up. In all my years as a brooding gay, I'd never come across a woman so strong willed, brilliant and talented. Her looks—her looks were simply the icing on the cake.

It took a lot for me to be reduced to mush. A baby being born, maybe puppies, but I was a steaming pile of mush the minute Ashley walked into my life. There was no way for me to gauge how the blonde was thinking, she gave a lot of mixed signals.

She insisted on us getting the annulment, but the papers had been drafted and sitting on her kitchen counter for weeks. I knew, because I'd been sleeping at her place almost every night. We didn't know what was happening between us, but we certainly knew how to fuck. Our sex life was somehow even more active than it was prior to getting married.

The metal doors finally opened, allowing me to step in. I pressed the button for the ground floor, my mind once again drifting off as soon as the doors shut. It was no surprise that when they opened again, I'd assumed it was the ground floor—but I was mistaken. As I was about to step out of the elevator, I collided with something soft and...fuzzy?

My eyes flicked down to the woman, recognition setting in when our eyes met. Her peach curls tickled my chin, face almost buried in my chest before quickly peeling herself away.

"I'm so sorry!" she said, cheeks reddened with obvious embarrassment.

"Reina, right?"

She nodded before side-stepping into the elevator. "That's right," she gave me a small smile.

There wasn't much time to have a full-blown conversation, but I hated awkward silence so the small talk continued.

"Do you actually work at May's or—"

"Yeah, I do actually work here." The shorter woman cut me off. For some reason, her answer was feisty, and I couldn't understand why. "I work in the graphics and design department. It's what I got my degree in before I started doing makeup."

Oh? There were levels to this woman.

Reina wore what appeared to be a plain, white, t-shirt under a black denim overall. Her peach curls definitely added something to the overall look she sported. It was cute.

Before I could respond, the doors slid open on the ground floor. The woman peeled out of the elevator; her short legs somehow managed to speed walk towards the exit. I caught up with her at the glass door, a frown resting on my lips as we both stood near the exit. A heavy shower of rain fell against the sleek building, and I would certainly be drenched within a few minutes of walking in it.

"It's shit out there." I noted.

She hummed, not giving a verbal response, or even glancing in my direction.

"Do you hate me or something?"

She finally met my eyes. "Why would I? I know nothing about you. What I do know is I'm about to miss my train because of this weather and that means it'll take me an additional forty minutes to get home."

"I don't mind giving you a lift, we just need to get to my car." I tried, my eyes fixed at the clouds, silently hoping they would hold up long enough for me to make a run for it.

"Robin." The tone of her voice was enough to get my full attention. "I'm a lesbian."

A moment of complete silence passed before I finally faced her again, the pools of green in her eyes holding my gaze. "I mean... we're moving pretty quickly but I'm a lesbian as well." I joked.

"What I mean is, I'm a lesbian and find you very attractive. I've seen you around the building long before we had that short conversation at the last photoshoot. I know what I want, and I'm not afraid to say what I want. I know you've got something going on with Ellie's assistant, and I just need to make sure the lines aren't blurred."

I was a little shocked at her words, and I tried my best not to let it show. Of all the things she could have said in that moment, I never expected that. I racked my brain, trying to recall whether I'd seen her on any of my many visits into the building. It was strange to think we could have both been in the same building this entire time but didn't meet prior to that photoshoot.

It was also insanely attractive to hear a woman express herself in that way. Verbalising what she wanted, expressing her interest plainly. She was...something.

"Yeah," I finally spoke up. "Ashley and I are in a weird space right now, but we're definitely still involved. I'd prefer if the lines stayed as un-blurred as possible."

She giggled at my words, "Un-blurred huh?"

"Yeah," I gave her a small smile. "The offer for the ride still stands. I'm just trying to be polite; the weather really is bad and I'd hate to imagine having to take public transportation in this." I pointed out the window.

Reina glanced outside once more before nodding her head of curls. "Alright, I'll take it."

I gave her a quick nod, "I'm gonna grab the car, give me a few."

"You're such a gentlewoman."

"Don't blur the lines." I warned playfully before running out into the rain. A two-minute jog ended with me almost completely soaked, but sitting in the comfortable, warm leather seats of my car.

Circling around the building, I pulled as close as I could to the doors, blowing the horn once so Reina would know it was me. She quickly slid into the passenger seat, shuddering as she pulled the seatbelt across her body.

"You can put your address in," I motioned to the GPS on the dashboard. "I'll turn on your seat warmer?"

She nodded appreciatively, her well-manicured fingers tapping against the screen of the device.

"Thanks again Robin." Reina spoke up once the car was in motion. "I hope it isn't too much out of your way."

It was twenty minutes in the opposite direction, but I didn't have the heart to tell her that. "It's fine, don't worry about it."

She reached over, switching the channels on the radio until it landed on a station that played Beyonce's 'Heated', she quietly sang every lyric, word for word. 

I raised a brow at her—a woman of taste... but I wouldn't tell her that either.