For Tonight

For Tonight, I'm yours
So deny the truth
We'll stay behind close doors
'Cause all I want to do is
Lie with you
Even though it's wrong,
To lie with you

*****

Their bodies glistened under the morphing lights and artificial stars. Her nails scratched his back as she listened to his soft grunts and moans in her ear. She stared up at the ceiling, thinking about their position and the way they got to this point.

She’s engaged, and her wedding is in three weeks, but instead of preparing and celebrating, she’s in bed with another man.

He paused at her silence and looked at her; he swept her hair stuck to her forehead behind her ear or backward to meet the remaining locs. “What are you thinking about?”

She turned to him and did the same before speaking, “I shouldn’t have done this; we shouldn’t.” She pushed him from her softly, which he obliged. “Trina,” He mumbled as she shook her head. “I’m getting married; I broke my vows and haven’t even sealed them.”

She picked up her ring, but he covered her hand from looking at it, obliviously hiding it from his sight. “This is just for tonight.” He whispered, then picked up her chin. “This is our secret.”

“Spencer, this is wrong …” She dragged off as he kissed down her neck. He hushed her as he removed the ring from her clasp before throwing it across the room without a glance.

Tears fell down her face, and he wiped them away softly. “Baby,” He whispered; she shook her head and held his face as she kissed him. He held the small of her back, pulling her closer.

He refuses to let her go, literally and metaphorically.

He was selfish, territorial, and possessive, as some may put it. The end of their relationship was one of his biggest regrets; he experienced the Pinterest quote he once laughed at; he didn’t realize what he had until it was gone.

Their lips broke as she rolled her hip on him, their foreheads touched as they both enjoyed the euphoric feelings they seemed to only achieve with each other.

“I love you.” His voice shook as she rode him. “Trina, I love you-” He repeated after she did not respond.

She kissed him, and he groaned as he felt his climax coming. He tapped her thigh, making her separate their bodies, but he laid her down and entered her again. His fingers trailed down to her small nub and began to caress it as he stroked her repeatedly.

“Oh God, Spencer.” Her stomach felt tight, and she clenched around him.

“Shit.” He exclaimed before pulling out for a moment, replacing his manhood with his fingers. She came undone beneath him, and he re-entered her and chased his climax, which wasn’t far.

His ego was boosted as she screamed out his name repeatedly; he came undone in her before collapsing above her. He trembled a bit from his ejaculation and stayed on her chest for a moment.

Trina pushed him away before she stood up and made her way to the bathroom.

Spencer heard the toilet flush and then the shower running. He laid on his back, thinking about ways to make her stay. He can’t let this marriage happen; he refuses for this to be the last night he can ever touch and lay with her.

He watched her appear from the bathroom, looking refreshed and dressed. “where the fuck did you throw my ring, Spencer.” She turned to him. He shrugged in reply.

“Help me find it; I have to go.” Her hand gave a gesture for his assistance.

“No”

She paused and looked at him.

“Do you love him?”

Trina glared at Spencer. “I do, but I know it sounds hypocritical, considering I just slept with you.”

Spencer chuckled, “You didn’t say you love me back, so I figured.” She exhaled and turned to him. “Why can’t you let me go? If you let me go, I’ll do the same for you.” She vented, and he stood up, putting on his boxers. “That’s the thing; I don’t want that to happen.”

“Spencer, you broke up with me.” He closed his eyes for a moment and then looked straight into hers. “Just because I did, doesn’t mean I wanted to. I thought I was doing something beneficial for both of us!” he watched as she continued to look for her ring. “Right, beneficial; it was only beneficial because it gave you the freedom to do whatever you wanted.” She chuckled at his stunned expression. "You never loved me; you love the chase — the challenge — which is why you're here now."

His eyes dropped, and he shook his head. "That's not true; my main priority has been to keep you safe. It always was — it still is." 

"Why is it still your priority? We broke up; I moved on; I don't need you as my protector, not anymore." Trina scolded him.

Spencer clenched his jaw again.

“As you said, this was just for tonight.” She concluded before continuing her search.

She kneeled and looked under his clothing drawers, finding it instantly.

“I regret my choices.” Trina stopped all movement as her ears lingered on his second word.

“Spencer—” She was speechless, that word. That one word changed a lot. The Promise and History behind that word between them brought back memories.

He wiped his face and held the following tear back. “Trina, please be honest with me. Do you love him…more than me?”

“That’s an inappropriate question.” She responded, “Why do you need to know?” She added and got no response.

“Why do you keep redirecting?” He combatted.

She breathed, “I’ll always have love in my heart for you, but….I don’t think that I’m in love with you anymore.” He frowned and nodded. “But you are with him.” He wiped his face again as she apologized.

“Your body didn’t just say the same thing; it didn’t, Trina!”

"What do you want from me, Spencer?!" Trina suddenly outbursts.

“Stop denying it! I don’t want you to leave, Trina; I refuse to let you go! I refuse to let this end! Especially for someone who can never love you how you want to be loved!” He argued. “All I want is to be beside you at night, talk about nothing until we’re asleep; I just want to hold you! Take in your scent again! I regret making petty choices with this thought that you’ll always have an excepting arm welcoming me back!”

Tears drenched both of their faces.

“I love you, Trina, and I’m sure if you give me the time, I can get you to love me back. Please, just...don't go through with this.”