⤷ ii. the places you fear most.

✧*̥˚ chapter two: the places you fear most  *̥˚✧

Solitude is a beautiful prison, a place of both comfort and despair. It's where you go to escape the world, but also where the world escapes you. Yet in that lonely place, you learn to be your own company, to listen to your own voice, and to find the strength to stand alone. For in solitude, we are forced to confront ourselves and our deepest fears, and in doing so, we discover the power of our own independence.

But sometimes, being alone in your thoughts can lead to overthinking and feeling trapped in your own mind. It can also be difficult to find motivation and stay productive without the support and encouragement of others. so, while solitude can be empowering, it can also have its downsides, especially for a high school student living on their own. Like Parker.

He'd woken up to find that the sun was already high up in the sky, something that he rarely wakes up to. The last time he had slept this late had been in his freshman year when he was admittedly lazy and didn't really care about getting to school on time. He groaned as he got up, glancing at the minimalistic clock on the wall to find that he only had twenty minutes to get ready and get to practice on time.

Just as he was beginning to mentally prepare himself for the day, considering the bad start, a knock on his apartment door interrupted his thoughts. He glanced down at his attire, seeing as he was wearing his pajamas, and decided that for the sake of it potentially being a brief interaction with whoever was on the other side of the door, he wouldn't rush to change just yet. He walked toward the door, before peeking through the peep hole.

He sighed and then opened the door, finding himself face to face with a pair of bright green eyes. Evelyn.

"Hi," She began, her eyes drifting down to what he was wearing, surprised that he wasn't already dressed for school yet. She noted the subtle frustration etched onto his features before she let her confidence come back to her, "Can you give me a ride? My car's in the shop and I don't want to be seen taking the bus. It is not a good look for me." She entered the apartment regardless, as Parker moved away subtly to let her in.

He glanced at her clothes, seeing that she was dressed casually. He could tell it was the same outfit that she wore the day before, given the fact that he remembered seeing her at school yesterday and how unkempt and nervous she had looked. He wondered why. It was out of character for her to wear the same outfit twice, especially within the same week.

Evelyn grew impatient at Parker's silence and bit her lip before she let go and trailed off, "So... are you going to be my knight in shining armor or what?"

He sighed and shut the door, "Sure, make yourself comfortable. I'm gonna get dressed." Without a second look or glance, Parker walked straight back into his bedroom - closing the door behind him so that he could get dressed.

Evelyn noticed the look on his face before he did so, and frowned to herself. She walked further into the apartment, finding her way to the familiar couch and softly brushed her fingers across the smooth texture. His apartment was clean, almost like it was all for display.