inopportune moments

ابدأ من البداية

When I turned to his son he nodded to me only briefly and stood behind his father who has already sat down again.

"Please sit down, Mr. Elegido. " Offered me Mr. Arvanitis.

I sat down thanking and did not miss how Achilles watched my every move.

Smiling, I looked up at him whereupon he only raised his eyebrow provocatively.

His father clears hes throat, so my full attention was on him again.

He didn't seem to know how to start speaking, so I took over.

"I assume you don't want to accept the contract?"

"Yes!" replied Achilles instead.

Mr. Arvanitis looked up at him angrily but Achilles only looked at me and did not give his father a single glance.

"First, you can call me by my first name. And Second, you're a right. We don't want to accept the contact. " replied Mr. Arvanitis.

"By all means Mr. Arvanitis, but you know the rule that-"

"Yes, we know the rule really well, that if someone of a higher rank than you demands a marriage it cannot be refused unless the family that makes the contract itself declines the marriage."

I just nodded, but didn't answer.

Because this wedding will happen whether they want it or not.

This decision is mine. And that's only mine.

"Look, Reyes. I hope it's okay that I call you that." He asked cautiously.

I nodded at him in response.

"What I wanted to say is, Ariadne is still a child. She has a past behind her that she is still coming to terms with. You can't just tear her away from the family that needs her and that she needs. Because I doubt you'll be the one that can help her fight her traumas."

Which trauma and which past? There was nothing about it in the documents that were given to me.

Basically, there really wasn't much in the file. Because the only thing there was, was a few facts about her life and that was it. Nothing more, which is why the topic of the past interests me now.

"What was in her past?"

It also makes me angry that people immediately have prejudices.

"The past has nothing to do with you." Achilles replied angrily instead.

"Achilles, please go out." his father demanded.

He'd better follow his father's instructions, because if he doesn't, this whole thing will escalate. But that's not my intention for now.

"But-" Achilles started to speak, whereupon his father replied something in Greek but was interrupted by a bang.

Mr. Arvanitis and I both stood up in alarm, whereupon Achilles also turned towards the door.

"I'll go see what that was." he said last and then disappeared again.

As he walked past me, he looked at me angrily, which I can completely understand.

If I were him, I would kill the person who approached my sister with a wedding straight away.

But as sorry as I may or may not be. I cannot and will not refuse this wedding.

It was too late for that since the moment Ariadne showed me her strong side.

"Let's get back to the conversation." His father spoke again after we sat down.