001| 𝙷𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂𝚘𝚞𝚕 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚊𝚞𝚜𝚎

Year, 844
Trost District
Recruitment Ceremony

"Before you decide, ask yourselves this, can you give your heart? Can you give everything to humanity?"

Erwin Smith stood in front of the 100th Cadet Corps. That year, he was taking over the recruitment ceremony for Commander Shadis, who couldn't be there. Erwin's recruitment speech left them all silent, a nervous, tension filled atmosphere fell over the crowd.

He peered down at them from the stage, it was twilight.

The torch light illuminated the dark night, casting flickering shadows over Erwin's face, making his gaze even fiercer. There were forty cadets here and yet Erwin made you feel like he was scrutinizing your every move.

"That is all. Those wanting to join other regiments are dismissed." His strict voice boomed across the crowd.

More nervousness from the cadets. After a few seconds of anxious muttering, the quiet night was filled with the echoing sound of footsteps. As each and every cadet turned and walked away. Some right away, others more hesitant. But eventually every single cadet left.

All except one.

At first, Erwin was not surprised, such is a thing that happened every year. The number of recruits the Scouting Regiment got had never been high. It was quite common for there to be no new recruits every few years or so. That wasn't what surprised him. It was the one recruit that stayed.

The ones that usually stayed always looked sick. Like they were going to throw up any moment and yet they were forcing themselves to stay and walk to their deaths.

But not you.

You met Erwin's scathing gaze with a blank expression. You didn't look afraid, not even cocky like some recruits. The look in your eyes was what surprised Erwin. You looked like you wanted to be there, like it was inevitable. Just another day in life.

Erwin started paying more attention to you after that.

The next day you were brought to one of the Survey Corps many bases, it was a castle, somewhere in a less populated area of Wall Maria.

Erwin led you deep into the castle, all the way to Commander Keith Shadis' office. Opening the double doors Erwin presented you before the Commander.

"Sir." You said, your fist going to your chest in a salute.

Hands folded, Shadis looked you over, his expression was stern, much like every Survey Corps member that you've seen so far. You wondered if you would look like that soon.

"You. . ." Shadis trailed off, his thoughts wandering to a different time entirely. He heaved a sigh, shaking away his thoughts.

"Squad Captain Erwin here will show you around, you'll be in his squad from now on." Shadis told you.

You quickly glanced to Erwin, who was staring ahead, before glancing back to Shadis. "Yes, Sir," you nodded.

"Come."

From that moment onward you became a member of Erwin's squad. And in just a few months you had risen to the rank of Erwin's Vice-Captain. You had built yourself a reputation among the citizens and Scouts as the Angel of Death.

As cool as the nickname sounded, you had gotten it for all the wrong reasons.

~✵~