NINE

CHAPTER NINE: ON THE ROOF

Caleb had always thought that Friday nights were possibly the worst night of the entire week, even worse than Mondays

Caleb had always thought that Friday nights were possibly the worst night of the entire week, even worse than Mondays. From his experience, Friday night was usually the time where all of the popular people at school had their little hangouts and parties and would post it all over their social medias as if it was exciting. In reality, they all just seemed to make themselves look stupid, but no one really noticed or cared because everyone else was just jealous of their social lives.

Parties had never been his thing really, he did get invited to them a lot back in Chicago and he often went, but he didn't really like them and never saw the appeal of getting drunk and sloppily making out with the first person you see on your best friend's couch. It was probably a good thing though, because less focus on parties meant more focus on school and study, which is what he thought was much more important.

He definitely had not planned to go to a party tonight, especially one that was being held by Liz Allan, the person he wanted to but just couldn't hate because of how nice she had been to him since his first day. Caleb wanted nothing to do with her or her party, but Peter had practically begged him to go with him and Ned and how was he supposed to say no to that?

Caleb was beginning to regret his decision to ever agree to this as he walked up the stairs of the unfamiliar apartment block. He would've much rather have stayed at home with Christine watching some stupid sitcom or late night talk show, instead of going to see the guy he liked trying to get a girl to like him back; the was probably the worst part of it all.

He hesitated for a moment before he knocked lightly on the hard wooden door, waiting until it swung open and a woman, who he assumed must be Aunt May, smiled at him.

"You must be Caleb!" she beamed, opening the door and signaling for him to come inside.

Caleb smiled back at her, "Hi," he said.

He glanced around the apartment quickly; it was definitely a lot smaller than anything he was used to, but it was so much more homely that any place he had grown up in over the years. He liked it, and he also already knew that he liked May a lot. Peter always spoke about his aunt, and Caleb understood why now because she was exactly the way he had described her.