SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN: SPIDER-BOY

Caleb was convinced that he was slowly losing his mind right now, staring at the same algebra equation for at least fifteen minutes with his pencil not even making a single mark on the blank white page

Caleb was convinced that he was slowly losing his mind right now, staring at the same algebra equation for at least fifteen minutes with his pencil not even making a single mark on the blank white page. He was usually exceptionally good at math, but he had missed one class last week because of the guidance counselor and now he felt completely lost in the work.

For probably the first time in his life, he felt as if he was seriously struggling with school. Not for anything that he thought was easy like chemistry or biology, but for the subjects he couldn't rely on his insanely accurate photographic memory for, which including anything math related. He hated the feeling of not understanding, feeling as if he was now failing at everything even if it was just one of his many subjects.

He was used to being the smartest in a room, and now he definitely didn't feel that way. This was tough particularly tough for Caleb because he had relied so much on the validation he received from his academics for so many years that without that he just felt useless. It wasn't a good system, but he based his own worth on whether or not his test scores with high, and when they suddenly weren't anymore he didn't know what to even do with himself.

Caleb had always been the top of all of his classes, besides gym but he decided years ago that that didn't really count, but he could feel his grades slipping from him. It had always been the one thing he had, the thing that seemed to make even his dad proud, but now that he was losing it he just doubted everything he thought he knew.

It didn't really matter at Midtown anyways, even if he was the smartest back at Forest Hills, there were too many people now for him to compete against, especially people like Peter Parker, but Caleb certainly wasn't capable of feeling any sort of resentment towards the boy, the way some of his peers definitely did.

This should've been expected anyways, because everything that was going on in his personal life was bound to take a toll on him eventually, but Caleb just wished it had happened at a different time and not right now. He thought he could keep up with his work despite everything happening around him, but unfortunately he wasn't an exception to anything.