''Friendly? He wants to manipulate you, (Y/N)!'' Johnny interrupted your narration impatiently. ''It's a good thing you stayed away from him.''

You snorted and your mouth twitched and relaxed a little. You always tried to repress your sense of humor, no doubt realizing that it put you at a disadvantage. As it always did when dealing with these men.

''I... I ended up selling him some bergamot leaves, that's all.''

''Selling?'' Johnny continued. ''Why do you speak as if he were a simple customer? Have you forgotten what he did in Rocky Mountains?''

''Well... he technically just attacked you and Gyro and... that whole village. But he was under Doctor Ferdinand's control, remember? He didn't attack me, maybe that's why...''

''What the hell are you talking about, (Y/N)?'' Gyro tilted his head and slowly walked closer to you. ''What happened when you found Dio?''

''I told you, I sold him some tea. I'm telling you because I thought you would want to know this.''

''Why do you think we'd want to know that Dio bought some tea?'' Johnny interjected, this time his voice became a little firmer. "Are you sure you don't have anything else to say, (Y/N)?"

You swallowed hard, leaning forward to pick up your wine glass and felt the creak of the letter you were writing in your pocket. Your heart started to beat faster. What else did you have to say? Were you going to tell them that you had made a bet with Diego, that you had talked to him and seen him smile countless times? Would you tell them that you found out he's not married?

''No.'' You replied. ''I have nothing more to say, Johnny.''

''You still haven't answered Johnny's question, (Y/N). Why are you treating Dio like he's just a customer of yours?'' Gyro continued to interrogate you, with a more than suspicious look on his face. ''You know he's a rat, so why didn't you stay away from the bastard?''

Gyro saw your eyes snap open and your face flush slightly with shock.

''I didn't know what to do, that's all. He also looked... harmless. He doesn't seem to see me as a threat. Do you think he might be planning something?''

''Of course he doesn't see you as a threat, (Y/N), you're just a woman alone in the middle of the snow. But in your case, it's different.'' The Italian crossed his arms and turned his head towards his partner. ''She doesn't see Dio as a threat. Did you notice that, Johnny?''

''Yes, I noticed.'' Johnny replied, with a deliberate tone of disappointment in his voice.

''When did I say that? I don't trust Diego, I never did! I just think my life is more important than your causes. Being hostile to that man is the same as signing my death warrant, I would never do something so stupid!''

''I don't believe a single word you say, (Y/N)!'' Gyro continued. ''The more you try to explain yourself, the less I trust you.''

''Why am I the only one here who needs to explain something? I'm not here for the money and even less for this goddamn corpse, but I'm still suffering the consequences of actions you guys took!''

''Don't talk like you're better than us for it!''

''Whatever you say, dumbass! I may not be better, but I'm definitely not like you! I would never condemn the life of a fourteen-year-old girl!''

''What did you want us to do? Did you want us to drop out of the race to help her and her husband flee the government?!''

''Or maybe not kill a damn child!'' You this time screamed loud enough to startle the horses and maybe even the two men. ''You talk so much about Diego, but the weight of Lucy's life is on your shoulders!''

Gyro gritted his teeth and walked with heavy steps as close as he could to you. He was so furious with your attitude that, if you weren't a woman, he could easily commit an act of violence if you dared to scream one more time. Fortunately, you sensed this disposition and took a few steps back. With his index finger, he poked your chest hard enough to push you back.

''I'm going to tell you something about saving children, you fucking witch.'' He glared at you teasingly, the flush of anger fading from his face. ''I'm in this goddamn race to save one, did you hear me?! Not even Johnny is here for the money. You're the only greedy snake running across the country to get a few bucks from dying runners! Maybe that's why you get along so well with Dio, you're both greedy and nasty!''

You lost control and reached out to him, slapping his face hard enough to make you grunt along with the man. Your breathing was never as messed up as when you saw the shocked expression on Johnny's face as he watched the scene. Gyro, on the other hand, took a few seconds to turn around and brush his hair out of his face. Before the Italian could look at you, you feebly moved away so that you could climb into your wagon.

''If saving your lives multiple times isn't something to be trusted, then I don't think I have anything else to discuss or resolve with you two.'' You said, looking at Johnny. ''I have... I had more reasons to trust you than I did Diego.''

''You're making a mistake, (Y/N). You didn't have to do that!'' Johnny argued, seeing Gyro approach him with a hand over his cheek. The Italian looked furious enough to recognize that he couldn't be near you. ''If you weren't hiding anything, I don't think you would react that way.''

''You two offended me, hurt my honor. I know I'm only thinking this now because I'm angry, but you're lucky I don't want to kill you. I barely trust you two, so why would I trust Diego?! Use your goddamn brains for a second!''

The two men silently looked at each other as you unceremoniously climbed into your wagon. One of Johnny's hands slowly curled into a tight fist as Gyro remained standing. You felt foolish, but you accorded them the honor of presuming them to be sensible men, expecting them to be profoundly appreciative of that honor. You noticed the irony on the Italian's face, his left cheek was terribly red, but you didn't say anything else; maybe it was you who had the upper hand now.

Gyro knelt and whispered something to Johnny that particularly pissed you off. Then he turned to you.

''Should we trust on your word, (Y/N)?'' Johnny let considerable skepticism show in his voice. He looked up, eyebrows raised.

Your cheekbones reddened slightly.

''No one has ever had reason to doubt my word.'' You replied coldly.

You didn't intend to stay another minute there, or even meet them again during this stage.