Filipendula Roots

Start from the beginning

''Why didn't you kill them all?'' You asked.

Diego's hands passed over the linen bags and the dim table like moths, illuminating here and there between pots and cloths.

''What do you mean?'' He stopped what he was doing to approach you, giving you due attention.

''Knowing you... Well, knowing what everyone says about you, I don't think it's like you to let those men get away. Don't get me wrong, I'm really grateful for that... But I thought it was kind of strange that you didn't kill them all.''

"Are you implying I'm a cold-hearted killer, Miss (Y/N)?"

Your eyes widened embarrassingly.

''No, no! I mean...'' You stammered, having in mind the ironic thought of all the people in the village he had turned into dinosaurs. ''It's not that. I just thought it was weird... I mean... I'm not saying you should, but...''

"It's okay, (Y/N)." He smiled cynically, sitting down next to you. ''I'm just playing with you.''

''Ah... Ha...'' You bit your lip thoughtfully. ''You still haven't answered my question. It's better to say before the coca leaves take effect.''

Diego kept his cynical and questioning smile, carefully brushing some wet strands of hair away from your face, and looking directly into your eyes.

''You were injured, my priority wasn't to kill those men.''

''You didn't know it was me, did you? So you came to help?''

''Help you, of course. Why not? But I'm not the gentleman you think I am. If it wasn't you there, I wouldn't waste my time.''

You sighed and gave an imperceptible smile.

''I never thought you were a gentleman.''

His hand slowly pulled away and you dropped your gaze to the floor. You doubted that the nature of Diego's actions found an outlet in pray or philosophy, although you had no opportunity to resort to either of the two things to find out the answer to that. Glancing at him sideways, you saw him grope the crack in his cheek thoughtfully, his fingers smeared with your blood. You felt a lump in your throat remembering the last time you saw him, as if you were being strangled again. You picked up a few more coca leaves and chewed them, feeling the astringency of the herb ease that suffocating feeling.

''Does this always happen?'' You glanced at him, who was still groping for the crack in his cheek. ''When you use your ability...''

''Yes.'' He nodded tersely. ''At first it hurt a little, but now I'm more used to it.''

''Let me see that.''

You reached your hand out to his face, assessing the dryness, but were immediately stopped.

''No.'' He said, gripping your wrist tightly. ''You should rest. There's no reason to worry about me.''

''Diego...''

''You must rest, did you hear me?'' He interrupted.

''But I just need to put on a bandage and...''

''Exactly. There is no urgency for this.''

You pouted and relaxed your hands, although Diego still held your wrist without intending to let go. Of course, what he was doing was logical, but your body was not willing able to rest; your terrible sleepless nights were proof of that. He looked at you, flashing another one of those unmistakably cynical smiles.

''You are the best doctor I've ever known, Miss (Y/N).'' He said, but he didn't seem to be kidding about it. ''I've never seen anything like your compassion. That's very honorable of you, but I can't let you worry about me now.''