Ch. 15.3 - Build Club

Start from the beginning

Founder: "Jesse and accomplices..."

Ivor: "I'm Ivor." The Founder glared at Ivor. I guess she must've thought Ivor was me since he was the one who showed himself first.

Founder: "Doesn't matter. You three have committed acts of wanton, illegal building, and resisting arrest, things specifically forbidden by our laws. Explain yourself."

Jesse: "Look, we didn't know it was against the law when we started to build! We came into this world stranded on an island! What were we supposed to do!?"

Founder: "Ignorance won't get you any favors."

Jesse: "Oh, c'mon! Imagine you were in my shoes! You would've done the same, right!?" I tried to reason, but the Founder didn't seem to buy it.

Founder: "Aiden told me all about you, Jesse. About how you're a tyrant back home. About how you and your 'Order of the Stone' steal all the world's treasures for yourself. About how you're here to steal the Eversource from my city. A terrible act of treason."

Lukas: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, what?!"

Ivor: "(Well, she's not wrong about that Eversource part.)"

Jesse: "(Shush!)" I turn back to the Founder. "I'm not sure where you heard that, but you've got it wrong! Aiden's lying to put us in a bad light! You can't just get manipulated by someone like that!"

Founder: "Hmph, you say manipulated, much like you would seem to be doing right now!"

Jesse: "Argh! Can't you see? He's the one trying to steal the Eversource! And he's using you to get to that goal! If anyone is a thief, it's him! We're just trying to get back the thing he stole from us!"

Founder: "Hmm... really?" The Founder didn't object this time, but it didn't look like she was completely buying it either. I exchanged glances with Lukas and Ivor, who gave me concerned looks. I sighed. Seeing as this interrogation isn't going anywhere, the Founder stood up from the throne and approached me. "Jesse, it's clear that you're the little ringleader, so how about you come with me?"

Jesse: "Eh?" I looked back at Lukas and Ivor, but they didn't know where this was going either. "Um, okay?" A guard urges me to follow the Founder. I hesitantly do so.

Ivor: "I guess we'll just wait here, then?" The two of us walk outside through the large opening, coming across what looks like a small garden behind the throne, just by the ledge. There's a crafting table, a cobblestone generator where the water poured down into the abyss, a lone dead bush, and an oak tree here. The Founder stood still by the ledge, gazing at the sky that was currently setting.

Founder: "Tell me what you see."

Jesse: "Uh, what are you getting at here? I don't see anything. It's just empty."

Founder: "Precisely. As you can see, nothing exists below us. Only the Void." The Founder took out a cobblestone block from her pocket. "I don't know what world you came from, but here, resources -- every kind -- are incredibly precious. And when something falls... it is gone forever." She reached her hand out with the block... and as a demonstration of her point, she let it go.

We watched it fly down... eventually disappearing into the clouds, never to be seen again. "This is exactly why I made these laws to prevent this. It is why building only happens when I dictate it. People only receive materials when I allow it. Otherwise... we would only collapse back into chaos. It is my duty to keep my people safe, and the only way I can do that is if our laws are obeyed."

Jesse: "Wait, I don't understand. You've got the Eversource, right? Can't you just use that to make more materials?"

Founder: "It is not that simple." I stared back, more confused than ever. Just... just what is this 'Eversource?' Meanwhile, the Founder sighed, exhausted. "People act as though I WANT things to be this way... Allocating the limited resources, risking my life every day..."