Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

Professor Flitwick got up and addressed the class, "The Yule Ball is a tradition deeply rooted in Hogwarts' history. It's a grand ball held as part of the Triwizard Tournament, a magical competition where students from Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang come together to showcase their skills. But as you know given to previous circumstances the Triwizard Tournament has been canceled. However! The Yule ball lives on!"

When the boring lecture was over Valerie dreaded the rest of the day. During potion's class she sat next to Audrey who was boasting about the dress she was making for the ball. Audrey's love for fashion was infectious. She had an eye for style, an intuitive sense of what worked, and an uncanny ability to bring her designs to life. Her sketches were filled with vibrant colors, intricate details, and an innovative flair that captured Valerie's attention. Audrey's talent fascinated her, and she admired the way her friend poured her heart and soul into her creations, and although Valerie didn't share that same interest, she was always glad to hear Audrey talking about it.

"I wanted to create something truly magical for the Yule ball. So I was thinking for me, a pink dress with small flowers on the bottom, I'm thinking lace." She stopped for a second, "Yes definitely lace" she beamed.
"That sounds amazing" Valerie smiled.
"I know that you said you wouldn't go but I also made one for you"
Valerie shook her head, "Audrey that's-"
"Don't say anything!" Audrey interrupted, "Its just in case you change your mind. It's dark green. I think you would like it."
"Thanks Auds, really. But I don't think I'm going, '' she said.
Audrey furrowed her eyebrows, "What if someone asked you?"
"No one will ask me," She assured.

"But what if they do, there's still time you know"
Valerie rolled her eyes, "I'm not sure I even want to go."
"Well if you change your mind, the dress is in my closet" Audrey offered. Valerie nodded, knowing that she had no intent of ever going.

Suddenly Elyse came by their table and sat down, "What's that I heard about not going to the ball?" she said, her expression full of concern.
"Valerie here doesn't want to go" Audrey said.
"What?!" She exclaimed, "Why on earth don't you want to go to the most important event of the year?"

Valerie shrugged, "It's a ball... how is that important?"
Elyse's mouth dropped, like the question she was asking was absolutely ridiculous. "Hello? Networking. Not only will Hogwarts students attend but other schools too, including kids from important influential people. These events provide a platform to meet and connect with individuals who can potentially open doors for.. Everything. Like do you really expect me to work and study for the rest of my life? No. I need to find a rich husband, and the best way to do that is at a ball."
Valerie shook her head, "That's not-"

Elyse continued, "And networking is crucial for career growth and advancement. Balls offer a more relaxed and social environment compared to typical networking events, making it easier to strike up conversations and build relationships. By engaging in meaningful conversations and exchanging contact information, you can expand your network and establish connections that may be beneficial in the future. Like for example what if I want to go on vacation but don't have a boat? Oh my friend Amy that I met at the Yule ball has one" She said proudly stating her analogy.
Valerie laughed, "So using people?"

"It's more like taking advantage," She explained.
"Right, because that's totally different," Valerie smiled.
Audrey prompted, "I think her point here is that you should go." Elyse nodded and both of them waited for Valerie to answer.
"I'll think about it," she finally said.

After class the girls walked over to the dining hall to get some lunch, but later separated to go to their different tables. The Ravenclaw table was the shortest, out of all the houses at Hogwarts it had the least number of members. The tablecloth, a rich shade of blue, was adorned with shimmering silver stars. As soon as Valerie sat down, she could hear people in deep conversation, their voices animated as they discussed whatever was going on at Hogwarts those days. Others were engrossed in books, eating silently.