She turned her attention to petting Bon-bon and avoided making eye contact with either of them for the rest of their journey. Thankfully, Miss Beaufort occupied herself with the scenery visible through her open window and everyone fell into a comfortable silence.

Tranquility of the carriage was broken by the hustle and bustle of the town. Wimbledon was clearly in possession of a higher populace compared to Yorkshire. Miss Beaufort assured  her that this was nothing in comparison to streets of London, but being from a small town Katherine found it hard to believe that anything could rival the chaos of this market.

The first stop on their agenda was dressmaker's shop. For the next hour, bolt upon bolt of fabrics were displayed. Silks, satins, muslins, linens and countless others, for Marchioness' benefit. She had asked the seamstress to measure Katherine first, she seemed quite excited to help her pick out new dresses, for all the soirees she was planning make her attend, as part of her introduction to the ton. Every now then the Marchioness would ask her opinion, but it was only to appear considerate to her feelings, as always Marchioness was a determined woman who knew exactly what she wanted.

When the seamstress and the Marchioness worked around her discussing her coloring, shape and other aspects of her body to determine which fashion would best suit her, she felt quite on display. She was standing on the risen platform, in the center of the shop, that was made for the sole purpose of measuring and modelling dresses. All eyes were on her, filled with curiosity to examine the girl that had managed to catch the future Marquess' heart.

Most the ladies in the shop, which included several of the guests in their party were probably enlisting her many imperfections, like how her lips were too plump to be fashionable or her bosom too large for propriety. Standing on a platform, She felt like a prized calf exhibited at an auction for all to see. Her distress must have been apparent to Miss Beaufort, who came over to place a calming hand on her shoulder. She wasn't the only who had noticed her discomfort, Arthur walked up to them and asked his mother if she could be spared for a while. "I wish to take to her to the flower shop across the street, if that is alright with you" He said. His mother happily obliged and gave them both a sly smile. "I can accompany you, if you like" Miss Beaufort offered to chaperone, but it was quickly declined. "There is no need, dear sister, you can watch us from the window if you like. Besides, I am unlikely to do something untoward in such a public place." He said pointedly knowing his sister had only offered to irk him.

Everyone's eyes remained fixated on them as he helped her descend from the platform and escorted her out of the shop. Once outside the shop she inhaled the fresh air deeply.

"It is a relief to be spared from all those curious glances, is it not?" said Arthur mildly.

"Yes, it is. Thank you for rescuing me. I admit I have never been a damsel in distress up until this point. Who knew a dress-shop full of ladies could be so overwhelming" replied Katherine.

"I am glad to be of service. I know it can be tough being center of attention. I feel the same  way every-time I enter a room." he said with a smile. For the first she had realized that Arthur's title, that gave him privilege also had its burdens, he was always the center of attention wherever he went, where people constantly vied to get noted by him. "And my mother can be a touch overbearing once she puts her mind to something" He smiled.

"Now I know where you get if from" she replied with a grin.

"Are you calling me overbearing, my lady? that too after I rescued you from that tedious situation." He pretended to take offence.