32. Party Time

Depuis le début

I skipped the last lesson. I couldn't bring myself to go through yet another hour around people. They were too happy. Too carefree. While I had to live with myself, the decisions I'd made out of boredom. It was the worst. The fact that I'd accepted the challenge because I was bored.

I chose to break someone's heart because I was bored.

How could I do that? I'd not given it a single thought.

I spent that last hour alone at the back of the building, sitting on the floor and staring at the rain. I was slowly suffocating again, but this time it was so much worse as I counted the days.

Fifty-two. I accepted the challenge fifty-two days ago. If I hadn't already paid my way out, I'd only have eight days left. But why did it feel like it never ended? Why did it feel like I only had eight days left?

Maybe I was supposed to tell him about the bet that day, when sixty days were over. It would be poetic. The day that was supposed to be my last chance to make Jax tell me he loved me would instead be the day I'd lose his love completely...

The last bell rang, waking me up from my anxious misery. I slowly got up from the floor and made my way to the main exit where I'd promised to wait for Jax. He beat me to it and frowned lightly.

"You skipped classes?" he asked in a quiet voice when I stopped in front of him.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Because your classroom is that way," he said, pointing his thumb behind him.

"Oh... Yeah... I didn't..."

He gave me a kind smile and hugged me. I wrapped him in my arms, trying to focus on him and only him, but this time, it didn't work. The anxiety refused to let go of me.

Jax noticed this and pulled back, his eyes even more worried.

"Maybe you shouldn't go," he said.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," I said, but he didn't believe me. "I'm just... I'm just sad about how things turned out, that's all."

It wasn't really a lie...

His eyes softened and he let out a quiet sigh. "I really don't want you to go."

"I'll be fine," I said and faked a smile. "It'll be over soon. Watch my dad throw a huge tantrum over the weather and end the party early."

"I wouldn't mind that at all," he said. "Come. Let's go home."

I nodded and followed him.

At home, we both took separate showers. Jax went first, so after I'd taken my shower and stepped back out, he sat behind his desk, his hair wrapped in a towel, redoing his makeup.

It was odd. He rarely put his makeup back on if we had nowhere to go.

"You're doing your makeup?" I noted. "Why?"

"I want to look extra pretty for you today. I mean, maybe I could be wearing that red dress when you get back home," he said with a playful wink.

"Ohh..." I breathed out, leaning in to wrap my arms around his shoulders. "Well that thought sure would help me get through this day."

"Thought so," he purred, and kissed my cheek. "Maybe I'll even curl my hair."

"Yes, please," I groaned, and kissed him.

I still had some time to spare, so I didn't hurry to put my clothes on. We'd picked up the suit yesterday from the very exhausted tailor, who seemed happy to get rid of it. I assumed my father had pestered him every day to make sure it got done on time. I felt bad for the man, but at least I didn't have to go get my old suit from my father's house and risk running into him.