Chapter 9 Castle

As they folded their clothes and packed their belongings into the same few bags they had arrived with, Atti felt a twinge of disappointment. They hadn't accumulated as much wealth as he had hoped, but he knew that sometimes life has a funny way of working out. With a hopeful smile, Atti looked into the window. Only the Sun knows what the future holds.

Another part that dimmed his happiness was leaving his daughter with Zeon's family. Pastor Dion told Atti that this trip would only take a few months and they would be back in no time. Leaving his daughter here was a sound suggestion. Zeon was a teacher, a very smart lad, and had a kid himself. And his hysterical wife seemed to come to her senses after the ritual. His daughter would be fine with them, right?

When they approached the teacher's house, Atti waved to Zeon. The man was waiting outside, Zaira dutifully standing to his side. Atti passed the woman a bag with Arlene's belongings.

"Say goodbye to mommy, my little dove." Atti hugged his daughter. "And remember, no tricks here, ok?" he whispered in her ear, before pushing her towards Airic.

Their goodbyes were hard to watch. Arlene tugged on Airic's hand, and a woman bent down, abruptly, like she was going to fall. Arlene went on her tippy toes, hugging her mother. But Airic' face remained blank, her hands hanging limp. Arlene stepped away and started sobbing.

"Enough."

Atti did not have time, nor patience, to deal with it right now. They were late.

"Go to Zaira now. Behave yourself and we will be back soon!"

"Yes, father," his daughter said, still sobbing.

Atti turned around, rubbing his ribcage.

"Time to go now!"

He and the other chosen men with their wives gathered in a convoy as they set off on the journey towards the castle.

***

Late spring forest was alive with the vibrant colors of new growth. The sunbeams streamed through the canopy, casting dappling shadows on the ground. The sweet smell of blooming flowers mixed with the woody scents created a refreshing and calming aroma. Atti breathed with his full chest. It was nice to get out of the village. He missed the woods.

They traveled the entire day. The road was still muddy and Atti had to help get carriages out of the sludge too many times to count. By the time they reached the meadow that Bruno's team usually used on the way to town, the sun was long gone. Stars shone brightly in the sky and Atti was aching to doze off.

They put the wagons in a circle and rearranged the goods, so more people would fit. Atti lifted a sack of sowing wheat to move it to the head of the wagon and marveled at how heavy it seemed.

He used to move buckets with ore all day long, and it never bothered him. And now a sack of food was too heavy? This training sword training did nothing good for his strength.

He stumbled out of the wagon and searched for Airic-he ordered her to bring more wood for the fire ages ago. Woman was standing near the rim of the forest, looking into the darkness beneath trees, rubbing her hand. Again.

"Hye! Time to sleep now!"

She swiveled on a spot and almost fell. But recovered quickly and walked to the wagon, eyes down.

Nothing in this woman reminded him of the gracious dove he fell in love with. Bruno said that in the castle they will be living in separate barracks. Maybe it was for the best. Atti was getting tired of taking care of her every step.

They were on the road for four more days. Every day bringing them closer to the border. The rest of the nights they stayed at inns and hamlets along the way.