Ten

"You're sure you want to change your course?"Jeff put down his cup of coffee on the table. The news was abrupt, and he could see the anxiety shine through Apo's face. His fingers keep twitching even though he squeezed the cup tight. His eyes avoid Jeff lazer one. There was a beat of silence, he could not take it, and asked again, "Po, are you sure?," more gently than his rough, shocked voice earlier.

While still looking at the window of the cafe, watching students walking and laughing with their own friends, Apo took a deep breath, "Yes. I already did it," he let out, his voice was full of certainty but his eyes flash a wariness.

Now it was Jeff who kept his silence, his mind wanted to happily congratulate the older for his brave decision, but his mind flashed to his struggle for achieving his dream. To throw the afford away was not a great decision, especially when Jeff knew perfectly well how Apo parents would react.

They had been friends since highschool, Jeff had been a president of a music club. One day without any warning, one guy suddenly joined in the middle of semester, he did not have any type of exposure. At first he was confused. Why choose this club when he was capable of choosing any science club with his intelligence. It was clear to everyone's eyes that the guy obviously knew nothing about music. But nothing their club president could do, it was their free choice to choose their own club. They had to accept him with full reluctance. Thankfully, he was happy to take any backstage role given to him. The older students gave him a task to work as a water server throughout their music event. Jeff sees him run back and forth just to give a glass of water to seniors. At the end of the day, he sees him slumped onto the backstage floor, completely hidden by all. He was sweating all over his body. Having just finished his performance and nothing to do, Jeff struck a conversation. Slipped down the floor, sitting on the dirty dusty floor. Simple words lead to more. At the end of the night, he knew that the intelligent medical student is worth more than a smile and kindness, he is worthy to be a lifetime companion throughout his life. That's how they started to be friends in highschool.

World was indeed small. The same month, his family was invited to a congratulations party by a rich family, his father's old friends from his university years. They throw a party as their oldest daughter's achievement in graduating from top university and debuting to be a great surgeon doctor. It was also the time he knew families who smile never reach their eyes, the air of smugness and giftedness with never ending intellect. Families that prefer the view of others rather than the happiness of their own son. Apo stood at the corner of the room, holding a glass of plain water. Looking out of place. His parents and siblings interact with guests, face high with pride. The usual smile Jeff used to see was nowhere to be seen, he looked gloomy and tired. Then when their eyes meet, there is a subtle hint of shock, and a smile slowly creeping on his face.

***

A book was thrown to him as soon as he stepped inside the mansion. It hit his left shoulder, he shouted in pain, his eyebrow frowned.

"Jeff Satur!?," his father screamed, angry. His face was red with anger. His eyes burning red, almost looks like it wanted to pop out of his socket. Jeff looked at the man he called father, he frowned in confusion. The old man had acted strangely again. His mind wandered to all the stupid things that he did. Nothing was significant. Being the only rule breaking son in a big family, his father usually had to turn blind eyes to his middle child. Even when he chooses to act upon his family approval to continue music, they only sigh and shake their heads. Soon turn their head to the over achieving younger brother.

What in the hell did he do to lighten his father's anger now?!

The old man looks at him with burning anger, his nostril flaring open and close, almost comical in Jeff's eyes. If not for the second book he wanted to throw, Jeff would be mocking the older man, "Wait! wait!," he yelled from the entrance, the book was flying just past his shoulder, "Pa! I don't understand? what did I do now?," he yelled back, the book he just threw had a hard book cover, if it hit his body, it might bleed.