(21) birthday cabin - jesse lingard

Start from the beginning

"Let's get inside first before we talk business, Mr Lingard."

Patting him on the chest, you walked in to see Jesse's family and friends in the living room as you left the two men to greet each other - they've already met each other and are very familiar.

*******

It was Jesse's birthday, and, he decided to host it exclusively at one of his family owned cabins - his closest friends and family invited. The birthday was a three-day celebration and meant to go all-out with partying, of course, with consideration for the kids in the family.

"Are you sure?" You asked in hesitation. Jesse's grandparents looked at you in disbelief as they sat on the couch, reading a book to Isabella.

"We've raised a boy before, dear, and he came out fairly okay.

"Hey!" Jesse spoke up in protest, throwing his arms in the air.

"Hush child..." His grandmother continued. "...go take a nap. We know that the drive must've been exhausting for you and Khalil, getting no rest and all."

"I feel bad just dropping her on you guys. I don't mind, I can put her down for a nap, as well, it's no problem."

Jesse's grandmother got up - with a bit of a struggle - and walked towards you, grabbing your hands with hers, "I would be absolutely delighted to spend time with her. It's been a while, and anyway, we need to prove we can keep up with youngsters."

"Thank you, thank you so much."

Grabbing Khalil's hand as you walked to the room, intending fully to take that nap because yes, yes, you were exhausted. If Khalil wanted to do something else, that was entirely up to him and you voiced as much to him. But all he did was smile, lead you to the bed and say "it would be a pleasure napping with you."

*******

It was late - you could tell by the darkened room, it was either that or the drapes in the room was just so good at keeping the sunlight out. Checking your phone, however, you confirmed that it was indeed close to 9 in the night.

Holy shit, how had it gotten so late so quickly?

Sliding from underneath Khalil's arm, who was still in a deep sleep, you did your business in the bathroom before seeking out any life that was not sleeping or at least, in bed. It was your lucky day, you guessed, as you found Jesse and Isabella cuddling on the clinch in front of the fire - Jesse telling her a story.

"...while the king and the queen may not be together anymore, they love the little princess with their whole body, soul and minds. They would do anything, anything to make her happy because they love her."

"Daddy, I know you're talking about you and mommy."

Jesse was stunned at his daughter's confession, not knowing what to say or how to respond until you walked into the room.

"Now that's a smart girl." You smiled, their heads turning toward you. Their smiles being identical of each other as you sat next to them and Isabella crawled over to you.

"How was your nap?" Jesse asked you, helping Bella adjust onto your lap. She, soon, laid her head on your chest and faced Jesse - face scrunched as she stung her tongue out at her father.

"It was good. Didn't expect to be out for this long though."

"You were just tired, love, it happens to the best of us."

You hummed and watched Jesse get up from the couch, "Would you like anything? Water, juice, alcohol, I'm going to the kitchen."

"Just juice would be fine."

It was a few moments before he returned from the kitchen with a glass of beer, a glass of juice and a juice box for Isabella. Sipping on the sweet drinks, you moaned as the juice ran down your throat, "This tastes familiar."

"I'm surprised you noticed..." He chuckled as he set his glass on the coaster, his cheeks fattening up. "It's the same juice I bought when you were pregnant with Bella."

"Yes!" You exclaimed in recognition, taking another sip. "You made sure I was stocked up so I didn't have to call you like that one time."

He nodded his head as soft breaths left his mouth, "It's because I would get calls at 12 in the night saying you were craving the juice, the juice."

"I couldn't help it. They literally only stocked it at your mini-market, I asked the place close to me but they told me: no promises."

The laughter that took up the room subsided after a few minutes, leaving a comfortable silence for you and Jesse to bathe in. "Can I ask you a question, though?"

You looked at Jesse but he didn't seem that serious, just genuine curiosity on his face. Nodding, you continued rubbing up-and-down your daughter's (now sleeping) back.

"Are you happy that everything worked out the way it did?"

Breathing heavily, you pondered on the question. It's not that you didn't want to answer but did you even have an answer? Sure, you wished that things had worked out between you and Jesse so your daughter didn't have to travel between two parents but there still weren't any real issues. You were happy, genuinely happy, because you had a loving boyfriend, an adorable daughter and a good co-parenting relationship with Jesse.

"I'm happy..." You smiled at your ex, reaching over to grasp his hand. "I'm as happy as I can possibly be. Yes, it does hurt that we didn't work out especially considering Isabella but I have everyone in my life that I want to have."

"A fantastic co-parenting partner, a loving boyfriend and a daughter that's my whole world. There's not much else I can ask for."

Jesse placed kisses upon your knuckles, "That's the best response, Y/N. And I'm always here if you need me, I genuinely consider you one of my friends."

"Thanks, Jesse. I'm sorry things didn't work out like they could've."

He shook his head and laughed, "Don't apologise, it's neither of our faults. Maybe in another lifetime, we could've been the perfect family.

Jesse drew closer as he pulled you in for a side-cuddle and placed a kiss on Isabella's head, laying your head on what was once 'the love of your life's' shoulder, you could not have asked for a better ending.