LXI • Deceitful doves

Start from the beginning

It wasn't until the entire class awaited their professor that he was departed from her direct eye-line. And, as per usual, the very moment class was due to begin within a minute, did Professor Snape, open the door, inviting his class in.

Aurora smiled toward the two who stood beside her. She gestured they walked in before her. "After you." The girl grinned.

It did not take long for her smile to falter, for there she was, unable to walk into the classroom after having invited those behind her to go ahead. Alike it were a year prior, unable to simply put herself first, despite all her training.

Theodore, who stood not too far behind her, pushed through the many students who separated him from Aurora. Offering her a warning look, he raised his own arm. "After you." He spoke. Her shoulders shrugged as the urge to crush him within a hug overwhelmed her.

Whether intentionally or not, since the very second he requested she place down her mask and no longer quake behind a facade, life had become just that much easier, no one necessarily wants to bend over backwards for everyone, and with his guidance, day by day, he was helping her. She offered him her smallest smile, the sincerity of her gaze delivered through the hazel of her eyes. And with a sigh of relief, did she gladly walk past him.

•   •   •

"It's love!"

"Quite frankly it's disgusting."

"I don't know about you Ginny but maybe you've just never understood what young love is." Ron crossed his arms, chin held high as he smiled endearingly.

"Neville?" The fiery girl sassed. "If I ever act like this with someone and claim to be 'in love'... please kill me." The bystander wizard attempted to withhold the awkward chortal that escaped pat his nostrils.

"Neville?" Spoke Ginny's older brother. "You know me. What Lav and I have is simply special, everyone experiences it at least once. And trust me my friend when you do, you'll understand." He pat the lean teenager twice on the shoulder, Neville smiling uncomfortably unsure as to why he was still there.

"You're vile." She seethed. "Okay," She snapped her lips. "Let's say that this is indeed 'true love' as you say it, then why on earth have you completely ghosted Hermione?"

"S'not my fault Miones gone all jealous!" He shrugged.

"Jealous?" Her eyes widened. So did Neville's. "Jealous!" The quieter, shyer asset to the argumentative trio gulped. "Why you - You're just so full of yourself aren't you?"

"Hey!" Ron called. "Okay jealous wasn't the right word." He turned red at his assumption. "I just-"

"Trouble in paradise?"

Three heads snapped toward the darkened corner. Their attention stolen by the smooth tone quickly turned dark and despite their current differences stood tall as a unit. Well, Ginny and Ron stood tall as a unit, Neville simply retreated into his own shoulders. He'd get there, Ginny thought.

"What do you want?" Returned her snippy tone.

Theodore released a throaty chuckle, pressing the bud of his lit cigarette into the wall. As he did so, the florescent ember withered to nothing but a flaked piece of blackened ash. A final puff of smoke hugged the air before his lips as his smile dimmed.