Rosé Wine and Cookies

Start from the beginning

''Did someone call you here?'' He returned the handshake with a sidelong glance, while Lucy shrugged as if she wanted to ward off the tension.

''Yeah! I was called here. Forgive my sudden appearance, I'm just a little lost.'' You nodded your head frantically, a common craze you indulged in when lying. ''I... I was told that the horse of one of the runners, Diego Brando, was injured. Diego... Dio asked me to take a look, saying he trusted me more for that. Have you seen him around here?''

You clenched your fists during the few seconds of silence that Stephen had taken to think.

''Well, yes. He was feeding his horse some herbs, but he left to do interviews. I believe it was your herbs, right? Have my employees already brought your wagon? That storm was a big hurdle for everyone.''

''Si, they brought my wagon. Thank you very much for that, Mister Steel... You said Dio left, didn't you? There is! So I better go find him, right?" You gave a nervous smile, ready to get out of there as quickly as possible, when you felt Stephen's hand land on your shoulder.

''Wait a second... Something's wrong.'' He said, frowning. You shuddered, struggling to keep the smile on your face. ''I can't help but invite you, Miss (Y/N)!''

''In... invite?'' Lucy gasped between you and her husband.

''Invite me? Invite to what?''

''Our tour of noble horses. Do you know something about horses, (Y/N)?''

''Well... just the basic.''

''Excellent. Lucy, would you accompany your friend? I'm sure Mister and Miss Argentan would love to meet the famous healer from the Steel Ball Run! When the tour ends, maybe Diego Brando will be back.''

Your mouth refused to close. Argentan? You had never heard of them in your life, but the name intimidated you. The sea of voluminous and colorful skirts in front of you was beautiful, but suffocating compared to the worn and skimpy clothes you were wearing. Although reluctant, Lucy was forced to guide you to the courtyard, just as an older brother is obliged to prevent the younger one from breaking something.

You two looked extremely anxious. You squeezed your fingers tightly; being able to feel the ring penetrate your flesh. A few nobles let their eyes roam over your body with a disdainful hint of irony. Despite being well dressed, the men seemed very comfortable with the horses there. One of them leaned too comfortably on the broad haunches of a Percheron mare and you wrinkled your nose. As expensive, clean, and beautiful as they were, those horses still smelled like horses.

''Monsieur Donibristle appreciates beauty wherever it can be found; woman or animal.'' A woman snickered as she spoke to Lucy, hiding her smile behind a lace fan. Both were much shorter than you, both looked like two children.

Lucy didn't answer, but smiled politely and made a mention of you gesture to the woman. You waved, not knowing exactly how to greet nobles, and smiled back at the woman who extended her hand to you in a gentle grip.

''I see we haven't been formally introduced yet.''

''Oh, forgive my rudeness, Madam Donibristle.'' Lucy bowed respectfully and looked at you. ''This is Miss (Y/N), the healer.''

''La sorcière guérisseuse?'' She asked with some admiration as she revealed a smile over her fan to introduce herself. ''Madame Donibristle. We've heard a lot about you.''

''Je ne suis qu'un guérisseur.'' You replied with a genuine smile as you returned the handshake. ''I don't meet the requirements to be a witch.''

''But you're talented as one. If you aren't a witch, then you sure are a miracle worker.'' The madam joked, laughing. ''Is this your first time on a tour, Miss (Y/N)?''