Watercress and Wine

Start from the beginning

''An old map?'' You got up and questioned her, approaching brusquely. You were clearly upset, and shaken, so you grabbed the girl's shoulders, not caring that it was scaring her. ''An old map, Lucy? What old map? What do you know about this map?''

''I... I don't know...''

''Tell me, Lucy! What map is that with the president?! It's Joseph of Arimathea's map, isn't it? Tell me!''

''Hey! Easy, (Y/N)!'' Johnny interjected.

''Shut up, Johnny! Lucy, where is that map? With the president? Did he say how he got that map? Spit it out!''

''I don't know! I really don't know, I'm sorry! But as for the corpse parts, the president has the heart! I... yes, the heart... it was already inside of the president's chest! That was when I found out about all of this!''

''Hey, (Y/N), what were you talking about? Why are you so intrigued by a map? What were those Latin phrases you said? I haven't seen them etched in the sand.'' You felt Gyro's hand on your shoulder, and quickly let go of Lucy, slightly regretting having approached her like that. Then you took Gyro's hand off your shoulder.

''The heart...'' You murmured, glancing at Johnny. ''The president has a part, that means he's a stand user, doesn't it?''

''Yes...'' Johnny replied. ''Lucy, you haven't seen even a glimpse of the president's ability? You have no idea?''

''No... I don't know anything about things like that, and I didn't want to!'' She's not the only one who didn't want to know about that, you thought. ''It scares me...''

''That guy over there, he chased you all the way here.'' Gyro pointed at Blackmore's lifeless body. ''(Y/N), are you sure the president and his buddies don't know about you two? They don't know that it was you who brought us the spine?''

''Blackmore said he was warned about me... My name is already in the President's graces. But I don't think they know about Lucy. Blackmore made a call, but I didn't let him finish. So... no, they don't know about Lucy.''

''Alright.'' He looked around. ''Let's take her to Kansas City. I recommend you stay out of sight for a while, (Y/N).''

''What? So... I'm going to go back? I... I don't want to...'' The girl's trembling voice contested him. ''I can't go back to Kansas! What I was asking you to do is to rescue my husband from the president, take him and let us escape to a different country! That's why I came here!''

''I can't do that!'' Gyrou yelled, and you instinctively backed away. ''I refuse! We can't afford to quit this race now! Listen up, you go back to Kansas City as if nothing happened, stay close to your husband during the race, just like you normally do... and get close to the president and steal the heart!''

A moment of shocked silence followed Gyro's absurd words. You frowned, as did Johnny. The idea was so preposterous that you almost laughed, thinking it was a joke. Hoping it was a joke.

''Wait...'' Johnny said. ''What did you... what are you saying, Gyro? No way!''

''Are you fucking crazy? Did you lose your goddamn mind?!'' You completed. ''She's just a girl, she's not even a stand user!''

''She's only fourteen, Gyro! What did you want to make her do?!''

''Shut up you two!'' Gyro screamed even louder. ''You stay the fuck out of this! I told you, Lucy Steel, to steal the heart if you want to save your husband's life! If you swore your love to him when you married him, then protect that oath to your husband! I didn't tell you to defeat the president, just steal the damn heart!''

Gyro, being widely objected to, huffed as he waited for some response from Lucy. She just cried and sobbed. As if the sky itself were resentful of this series of absurdities, the column of grayish clouds began to dissipate, illuminating the plain. The wet grass swayed heavily in the icy wind. You should be used to the cold air of that country by now, but you couldn't. Johnny looked at you, as if you were both thinking the same thing, then went back to contesting Gyro.