''Now I'm a mermaid too? Should I thank you for the compliment or am I still a witch?''

''A witch mermaid would be terrifying.'' Johnny added, and you rolled your eyes. Gyro laughed wryly at the thought of that.

You looked at the two men in disbelief, and they looked back at you. You felt your left arm completely ensanguined and pooling under your hand. A gentle wind blew and their hair ruffled in response. Both were a shade of pure blonde, but different. Johnny's hair was darker and straighter, it went well with his blue clothes. While Gyro's carried a distinctly sandy tone, and although constantly messed up, he seemed to be very vain about his hair. You would often see Gyro smoothing the top of his head to get rid of the ripples left by his hat, while Johnny didn't bother to always keep his hat on.

Then, you remembered something Gyro had said.

''Wait, were you following me? How did you know I went to that store? Damn, that's really creepy!''

''Wait, it's not what you're thinking!'' Johnny justified himself, embarrassed. ''We were just looking for you, but you were already gone.''

''Looking for me? What the hell did you want? Asked about me all over town, making everyone think I know you?!''

''Damn it, (Y/N), stop talking and listen to us! You seem like the type of person who goes around judging without even listening to others!'' Gyro interrupted you, frowning.

''Oh, right!'' You replied wryly. ''Only two people know that I know you: God and the world, isn't it? How can you be so reckless?!''

''It's not your turn to ask questions here! Tell us, what were you doing with Sandman?''

''Jesus, you guys are unbelievable.'' Told them as you got to your feet, tired in every way.

''Wait, (Y/N).'' Johnny stopped you, putting a hand on your shoulder deftly. ''We were looking for you because we wanted to ask you about something.''

''Ask about what?''

You refrained from ignoring Johnny. He was much more serious and understanding than Gyro. Therefore, he is more convenient and bearable. His big, blue eyes don't stop looking at you.

''Gyro said he found a bunch of notes in Latin under the counter of your wagon. He said you seemed to be hiding them, so we wanted to ask.''

It took a few seconds for your mouth to move, trying to form words that scrambled over your discoveries of the past nights and your mother's memories. You stopped, swallowed, and tried again, eyes slightly widened from side to side, looking at Gyro and then at Johnny. Then you took a deep breath, now looking at God only knew what. Did they even read the notes? you wondered. Have they seen Joseph of Arimathea's map?

''I... I mean...'' Said softly, your voice betraying you and stuttering. ''This has a simple explanation, but it's not easy to tell.''

''Then try it.'' Gyro said as if he was scolding you.

You didn't know where to start and you were afraid of the next questions they would ask. Keeping a map with the approximate location of the corpse's parts was, to say the least, suspicious for someone who wants to stay as far away from all that mess as possible. You've rethought everything you've done since you set foot in San Diego and saw Gyro for the first time, in a duel. If you didn't want to be involved in this, why were you still there? You wanted something from this race, but what exactly was it? What made you stay there? What made you approach Gyro and Johnny? What made you accompany Diego in that grove? Was it the brutal nature of your curiosity? The need or desperation to get answers? Or simply the spark of confidence and adrenaline they made you feel?