Ghostly Goth-egg-m

Start from the beginning

He couldn't help but stand a little straighter in this spirit's presence. There was something about her that demanded that she be given respect. She chuckled a bit at him as he approached and gave her a respectful bow. "Evening, Lady Gotham. It is a pleasure to meet you."

The spirit chuckled again as she moved through the shadows as if she was made of them. The darkness gave way to a regal-looking woman who looked like the women in some of the paintings in the manor of people his great grandfather's age. The face was still indistinguishable. One moment it looked one way but in a different light Damian would have thought he looked like his grandmother Martha. "It is wonderful to finally meet my little Robin in person instead of watching from the shadows." She reached her hand out and gently stroked Damian's cheek like a mother consoling her son. "Thank you, my king, for allowing this meeting to happen." She turned her attention to the pendant and Danny laughed awkwardly at the way he was addressed.

Actually, he wanted to meet you. I'm just kind of attached to him at the moment.

"But it is with the power you gave him that he can see and hear me at all. For as powerful as I am... I am spread much too thin to be able to be seen by the normal human eye." Lady Gotham lowered herself so that she was at eye level with the boy. A kind smile on her face. "It has long been a dream of mine to be able to talk to the ones who valiantly protect the city at the cost of themselves."

Damian felt himself leaning into her touch catching himself with wide eyes. He had never met her before but all of his defenses were down. It was terrifying but he felt entirely safe in this woman's presence. "I... I-i..." he fumbled over his words unable to speak the question that he had wanted to ask.

You make it sound like something grander than it is. I would have been happy to help you talk to them if you just asked.

"I know, my king. Tis why I have tried my best to ensure that those who wished you harm or could get in the way of your recovery wouldn't get near."

"Danny, how do you know her?" Finally, Damian was able to speak again. Giving up on resisting and letting himself nuzzle his face into the spirit's cool hand. This should be scary. Terrifying. He shouldn't be this relaxed but he didn't care anymore. It felt nice... From the entire time that Danny was awake, not once did Danny mention or show Damian of Gotham's existence. So how did he know her then?

Oh! Lady Gotham likes to come by the manor a lot. We've had many a discussion while you slept.

That made sense.

"It's something of a habit of mine. To watch over my knights for they deserve their rest as well." Gotham smiled gently as Damian pressed more of his cheek into her hand. "I am blessed to have so many protectors who do everything for those around them. You all are amazing and you, young one, have come so far in such a small amount of time." She brought her other hand up to hold Robin's face in both of her hands. "I know that the citizens are harsh when it comes to their criticism of you but you have done so much in a small amount of time and are constantly trying to get better. I am very proud of you and happy you were able to join my Knight's flock."

Damian shuddered a bit as he fought off the tears that wanted to fall. It was below him. Unsightly to cry over some simple praise. Instead, Lady Gotham pulled him into a hug and he let the tears fall as she held the boy close. It was weird. Her body was cold but he never felt so warm. It felt like Alfred was paying him a compliment. A grandmother who was telling him just how proud she was of him. He was ever grateful for Danny's electronic jamming ability right now. He latched onto the spirit of the city, who was more than happy to wrap him up in her arms protectively.