𝒕𝒆𝒏

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃, 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐓 𝐋𝐔𝐂𝐘.

It had been six years since she had last seen her. The memory of Lucy's desperate cries, mixed with helplessness and hatred still plagued her mind. But it was time to make peace with her past. It was part of her journey in recognizing that she hadn't been the one to blame for what had happened to her mother. To recognize that Lucy had cared for her and protected her even when her own feelings were conflicted about it.

Therefore, Eleanor had believed that she deserved to know what had happened to her. Or at least in part. Detailed explanations were a luxury they couldn't afford, for exposing another human to the secret of their kind could anger the Volturi once more. But she could assure her that she was fine. And that, thanks to her care in her first year of life, she had been able to become what she was today.

She owed her that.

"Amy?" 

Eleanor met the very familiar face. She hadn't aged at all. Although there was something older, more serious perhaps, about her. And outside of some gray in her hair and some new spots on her skin, she was still the same.

Amy. She had never been so confused to the point of calling her by her mother's name, though she had often commented on the strong resemblance they shared. Maybe now as an adult, it was more prominent.

"I'm Eleanor, aunt Lucy," she cautiously explained, her voice tinged with uncertainty. Should she approach? Should she hold back? Lucy stood frozen, gripping the doorframe as if she had caught sight of a ghost.

"My goodness, you're look just like her," she gasped, peering deeply into Eleanor's face. A faint crease formed on her brow.

Eleanor offered a warm smile, attempting to ease the tension that lingered in the air. "Can I come in?"

There was a momentary hesitation from Lucy, but she eventually relented, opening the door and carefully scrutinizing Eleanor as she crossed the threshold.

A pang of bittersweet nostalgia surged through Eleanor's heart as her eyes swept across the familiar surroundings. Nothing had changed. The armchair by the window, her vantage point for peering outside, remained in its rightful place. The scattered books, each one devoured by her eager mind, lay untouched. The board games, the calendar on the refrigerator—every detail was a testament to the life she had left behind. Even the lingering scent of potent lemon, a fragrance she had always found displeasing, permeated the air.

"I never thought I'd see you again," Lucy commented. "I searched for you everywhere in this damn town," she added, a trace of offense tinging her expression. "You could have at least left a note."

Eleanor nervously nibbled at her lip, feeling the weight of guilt beginning to settle upon her. "I'm sorry, I..."

"I thought you'd be dead by now," Lucy interrupted her. "Because of your... The way you grow, you know."

"Yeah... It's a little more complicated than that."

Her aunt stared at her for a prolonged moment before finally inquiring, "Are you doing well?"

Eleanor nodded, a smile tugged at her lips as she thought of the Cullens and Thomas. How harmful could it be to share a bit about them? Of course, she would omit the most obvious part—that they were vampires. "Yes, actually..."