𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆

Quick note: If you like the story, please don't forget to vote and comment. It's a good motivation to keep writing.

𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐑 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐀𝐍𝐗𝐈𝐄𝐓𝐘 𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐈𝐗𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑. Golden eyes. She had never seen golden eyes before. They were all watching her with the same curiosity that had been a constant part of her life, yet it still made her feel uncomfortable, ashamed of her own existence.

Almost instinctively, she clung to Thomas. If she had said before that she didn't need him, now she was showing how stupid her lie had been. And by the way he smiled, he probably knew it too.

"I'm glad you were able to join us, Thomas."

She observed the man who spoke. Pale, as pale as Thomas. Another vampire. His golden hair matched his perfectly golden eyes. He wore a calm, friendly smile. But even though his overall demeanor was welcoming, it didn't reassure Eleanor, who felt like an insect under the scrutiny of strangers.

"The pleasure is mine, my old friend," the vampire replied and then, interspersing glances between the crowd and her, continued. "This is Eleanor, the one I told you about."

The new vampire crouched down to her level. "It's a pleasure to meet you Eleanor, my name is Carlisle and this is my family: my wife Esme, my sons Emmett and Edward and my daughter Rosalie."

Eleanor ran her eyes over them. All vampires. How could it be that vampires had children? Family? Thomas had once said it was impossible.

"We're adopted," another vampire, Edward commented. Eleanor looked at him with a frown. Had she asked those questions out loud?

Carlisle extended a hand toward her. Eleanor hesitated for a few seconds. Searching for Thomas's gaze who nodded in encouragement, she finally took it. Something seemed to glow on the vampire's face at the touch.

"'Warm,'" he said, almost fascinated. "Just like Nessie."

Nessie? Who is Nessie?

"Would you mind if I ask you a few questions, Eleanor?" Carlisle asked her, catching her attention again.

She was about to respond, but something within her stopped her. Why were they all staying there, watching her? Who were these people? Did they have something to do with the Volturi? Thomas hadn't told her where they were going, only that they had to reach Forks, Washington. Was he delivering her to them? Would they kill her? Would they experiment on her? A shiver ran down her spine.

"Perhaps we should move inside," Edward spoke again. "Eleanor looks tired. I'm sure in the house she'll be more comfortable."

"That's a good idea," the woman, Esme, nodded. "I could make you something to eat too," she smiled at her warmly.

Why was everyone so nice?

As they moved forward, Eleanor clung to Thomas' hand and didn't let go, not even when they were inside. If he thought of leaving her there, she would make sure to leave him with a sense of guilt for the rest of his eternity.

The house was overwhelmingly spacious, bathed in an abundance of light. It felt unfamiliar to be surrounded by such openness, as Eleanor was accustomed to the confines of small, dimly lit, enclosed spaces.

"So, Eleanor," the vampires had scattered around the living room, yet they all continued to gaze at her. She had settled in a chair by the window, her eyes nearly hypnotized by the abundance of trees outside. "Do you know what you are?"