vi. break from philly

FIVE YEARS EARLIER
circa '17 christmas...

"GOOD MORNING SLEEPING BEAUTY." her friend's loud voices greeted as sekaiya was the last of clan to enter in the spacious kitchen.

it was finally christmas morning, and this was the first in which they got to have a proper sleepover.

no parents constantly in there business, no strict bedtime, just teenagers having a fun time. it was always a movie when they hung out.

the excitement of opening the presents from the secret santa game they'd started months ago made them feel the joy they did every year.

even as they aged, they could remeber the feeling of being a kid again.

kaiya rubbed the sleep from her eyes and took the empty seat she was accustomed to— which was her boyfriends lap, whom was wide awake.

he moved her face closer to his and examined her prominent eye bags. "what took you so long kai? it's 9am!" ambiance inquired from the girl, but just got a yawn in return.

"tyrese kept me up all night with all that moving" she answered.

the fight for his king sized bucee's blanket was all that conspired in his bedroom last night, the cover only being big enough to wrap around her body twice.

that caused him to be cold all night in his own room, and in his own bed.

tyrese scoffed and turned to the lightskin girl, "she's lying. she was the one taking the cover all damn night!" he quickly defended.

his toothy grin sat on his face as sekaiya playfully rolled her eyes before a smile was on hers.

"i don't know what you were thinking giving lina 'n shai the duvet. y'know that cover is fit for a twin" she joked.

they just stared at each other for a second, getting lost in the other's eyes all over again.

their friends hated when that got lovey-dovey like this. they were only 15, but acted as if they were married for 50 years with a successful linage.

"you're so handsome 'rese" slipped out from her mouth, causing his infamous smile to get even bigger.

"says you kai" he complimented back. he could trace her face from memory, but every time he saw it, he got even more mesmerized with her beauty.

after a few seconds of pure silence and stares, shai spoke up. "like just get married already" he sarcastically said, erupting laughter from the table.

tyrese waved him off and threw his arm around his girlfriend. "don't be a hater shai"