(11)

'You know, I can't remember the last time we did this. Juliette said, wistfully.

'What, eat take-out and drink beer?' Nick replied sarcastically. Don't we do this, like, four times a week?'

'No!' Juliette laughed. 'Have the house to ourselves.'

'Oh, yeah.' Nick said. then paused, after he packed up the empty take-out boxes. 'Hey, this is exactly what we were eating the first night Trubel was here.'

'Guess we're kind of empty nesters.' Briar noted.

'I hope she's okay.'

'She's fine.'

'I'm gonna miss her.'

'Me too.'

'But if she was here, we wouldn't have enough food.' Briar interjected, sitting down to get out of their way.

'That is true.' Nick agreed.

'What are we gonna do now that we have the whole refrigerator to ourselves?'

'And the house.'

'Let me think...' Nick flirted, taking Juliette's hand and leading her out of the kitchen. Watching the go Briar rolled their eyes, before standing up to procure some Panadol from the cabinet.

(Yeah, they'd told Nick the headaches were gone, but perhaps that hadn't been the entire truth.)

( The Spice Shop - The Next Day )

'It's not great, is it?' Briar whispered. Rosalee was now sitting on the bed in the back room next to Briar, while Monroe talked to Hank and Nick. Well, 'talked' perhaps wasn't quite the right word -- as right now he seemed very incensed.

'No, but it isn't supposed to be.' Juliette said.

'I'm just glad she seems to be calmer now.' Briar replied, looking over at Rosalee. 'Are you?'

'I am, thank you.' Rosalee responded, wiping the tears from her face. 'Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to go and calm down my husband.'

( Juliette and Nick's house - half an hour later )

Monroe put the cup down on the bench and walked back over to where Rosalee and Juliette were seated, a worried look in his eyes.

'What's wrong?' Juliette asked.

'Nick and Hank have got some bad company. They need me at the spice shop.'

'Okay.' Juliette replied, standing up at the same time as Briar and Rosalee.

Then she groaned, and raised a hand to her temple.

'Everything okay?' Rosalee questioned.

'Yeah, I'm fine.'

'Juliette, you need to take care of yourself. It's okay, we've got this. Just, stay here.'

'We'll be alright, won't we?" Briar comforted, reaching across the table for Juliette's hand. Juliette squeezed their hand in response. 'Hopefully...'

[ Author's Note ]

[ Author's Note ]

Updates will probably be slower from here on out, as I haven't actually plotted anything from here yet..

I hope you enjoy this chapter!!

[ 21st May 2023 - 05th July 2023]