(04)

[ Content Warnings: mentions of death, mentions/descriptions of food. ] 

'If he had a problem with helping you he would have stopped a long time ago

'If he had a problem with helping you he would have stopped a long time ago.' Juliette comforted. 'You should know that.'

'Maybe you're right.' Nick replied. 'But I should stop asking him for help for a while.'

'What were you going to ask him for help about?' Briar asked.

'We've got a killer scalping victims.' Nick said. 'We think it's wesen.'

'Ugh.' Juliette mumbled.

'Well, sorry Nick. That's not ringing any bells, and my mother did tell us some pretty bad stories as kids.' Briar said. Nick said nothing else in response, just drank from his bottle and looked forlornly up at the ceiling.

++

'Not doing any more taxes, I hope?' Nick questioned Juliette as he came down the stairs with Briar.

'No, after having delightful nightmares about being scalped I found out as much as I could about why somebody would want to do this to me while I was sleeping.' Juliette replied, walking into the kitchen with her pieces of paper, and turning around to face Nick. Briar placed some toast into the toaster and made it pop almost instantaneously with their telekinesis. The butter then floated over to them, and they grabbed a knife from the drawer, buttering it quickly.

'You interested?' Juliette questioned.

'What have you got?' Nick responded.

'This dates back to the Scythians!' Juliette explained. 'That's like 44BC. The Scythians would hang their victims scalps from their bridals, apparently they were very proud of them. But that's not the point! The more they had, the bigger and badder they supposedly were. A tonne of historical references; like the xatian schego, which was the most important law book of the germanic middle ages. The book said that the men were convicted of some of the most heinous crimes and were sentenced to have their heads scalped, because hair was considered a mystical symbol of the free man.'

'Juliette, could you condense your information a little bit? I know you like researching stuff, as do I, but Nick and I are a little confused.' Briar said, gently.

'Oh, sorry! Basically the gist of all this is that the more scalps you have the more power you have extracted from your enemies and the fiercer you'll be in battle.' Juliette concluded.

'And that part makes sense.' Nick replied. 'Hank and I were in the trailer, we think the guy we're after is using these scalps to make a cloak.'

'Gross.' Briar muttered. 'At least mention this when I don't have toast in my hands.'

'So this is wesen?' Juliette questioned.

'That's what we're thinking.' Nick said.

'Nick, if this guy is targeting the police--' Juliette started.