CHAPTER TWO: INDEPENDENT WOMAN

Start from the beginning

"You see that?" She exclaims to the others as they follow suit. Meanwhile Julia is trying to push the Walker off her but he keeps groaning hungrily and grabbing at her making her unable to properly lift her arm and stab it.

Finally Daryl comes up from behind and stabs it in the back of the head making it let go. Julia mutters a simple thanks before watching Rick lift the walkers mask removing its face. He makes a face of disgust until Julia swipes her sword down finishing the job as he still looks grossed out.

He looks around to make sure their completely secure before Glenn tries to go tell the others it's safe he stops him. "Stop." Rick says simply looking around for something. "Well, it looks secure." Glenn says with confusion but Daryl and Rick noticed what Julia did.

The civilian walkers.

"Not from the look of that courtyard over there. And that's a civilian." Daryl explains pointing to the female one he'd killed.

"So the interior could be overrun with walkers from outside the prison." T-dog finishes as Julia looks to Rick. She didn't want him to get his hopes down surely they could make it safe.

"Well if there's walls down what are we gonna do? We can't rebuild this whole place." Glenn asks as Rick sighs. "We can't risk a blind spot. We have to push in." He says sounding exhausted but- they would be heavily rewarded by this.

Julia doesn't even hesitate to follow Rick into the cell block as the others slowly follow suit. Daryl coming up behind Julia as Maggie, Glenn and lastly T-dog get into a single file line to enter.

Julia slides the door open at Rick head nod and he braces for a possible threat but they hear and see nothing yet.

Rick pushes a barred door open and it squeaks loudly but still they heard no moaning or walkers shuffling around.

T-dog slides the door shut behind them and the room is now darker but they could still see from the few windows inside.

They were in a room with tables probably where the inmates had down time, the rooms on the other side of a barred wall. A watch tower stands against the wall blood smeared on the window. The place was filthy but still no signs of danger yet. Julia could feel Daryl shifting toward her subtly as she gave him a look but didn't move away.

Rick goes up alone sneaking to the tower before holding up keys to show Julia and Daryl. Julia smiles broadly knowing that would give them easier access in the prison. Daryl makes a grunting sound of appreciation while nodding.

Rick unlocks the door that leads to the cells, still no signs of a Walker but the whole place was filthy with trash.

Julia peers into each cell seeing nothing as they go down the line, they still had to check the upstairs but the whole section was pretty cleaned out do the undead. It was safe.

Rick, Daryl and Julia go to the second landing weapons at the ready. A loud clang makes Daryl look at the pair before taking the lead with his crossbow raised. Julia is placed between both men and has her swords held tightly in her hands.

Finally a Walker reaches through a locked cell making Daryl flinch back. Julia pierces it in the head as Daryl moves onto the next cell where a second Walker is locked up. Daryl stabbing that one in the head as Rick goes to the cells all the way at the end checking them. They were also clear.

Julia helps bring their stuff inside as Rick, T-Dog and Daryl remove the bodies.

"What do you think?" Rick asks with a vulnerable voice he knew it wasn't exactly the most cozy or welcoming but it was secure and they actually had bed now. Julia couldn't wait to sleep on an actual mattress.