Invaders From Mars II: The Rest of the Story Part II...

"Invaders From Mars II..."

Summary: David's dream was a premotion but the actual story went a bit differently...

Part II...

"David, you should eat." Dr. Blake eyed her companion in his seat across the dining car table from her. The black sack, carefully folded to seem as much like a simple large bag beside her, out of general sight.

David eyeing his plate of sandwich and fries, shrugging, took a bite.

"It's interesting to experience this sort of food." She noted quietly, taking a mouthful of her own sandwich, keeping her voice low.

"You don't eat? Where you come from?"

"Not in the way you do." She gave him a cautious look. "But we can talk more in our compartment later."

"Compartment? How much did you...Borrow?" he eyed her.

"Our friend could afford it." Smile. "And we need our privacy. At least you should be able to sleep a bit before we get to our destination."

"If the Colonel doesn't..." he began, silencing at her hard look.

"We'll hope our trip goes smoothly." She smiled at him. "No need to worry about the consequences should it not, just now."

...

"Not a sign of them?" Dr. Stuart Kelston, an astronomer in his forties, a tall, well-built man in suit...Rather more fit than the typical image of the cloistered scientist in his lab, though his suit perhaps screamed such...The scientist and close friend Dr. Blake had initially taken David to tell his tale of the repeat landing (well, repeat from his dream) of the Martian saucer ship....Addressed Colonel Bruce Fielding, the newly appointed commander of the government rocket research facility, appointed on the tragic death of General Mayberry, killed by rupture of the control device implanted in his brain, and now commanding the forces attacking the saucer. A handsome officer in his early fifties, his chief vanity a British-style tight mustache, Fielding had been quick to act on learning of the threat, including the strange behavior and death of his commanding officer, and been given full authority from his superiors to act until additional support could arrive.

"Nothing in the area...They must all be in the craft itself, Doctor." The Colonel eyed the hull of the saucer before them. The humanoids fighting his troops having all retreated within.

"Colonel!" a lieutenant leading a team monitoring a large radio and other equipment including a series of radio-connected Geiger counters, called to him. "We have an upsurge in radioactivity and electromagnetic field strength in the immediate area. I believe that ship is preparing to take off!"

"Are all the charges planted and is the artillery in place?" the Colonel eyed him.

"Yes, sir. All teams confirm and the artillery commander says his men are in position to attack."

"Colonel, you can't. They're inside." Dr. Kelston pleaded.

"I'm sorry, Kelston. Unless we can blast our way into that thing, we'll have to use all our forces to stop it from blasting off. I have my orders."

"Well, lets try and blow a hole in the hull." Kelston insisted. "Colonel, we have to try."

"All right, we'll try but if we can't breech that hull, we'll have to fall back and use everything. Clarkston?" the Colonel turned to address a sergeant. "Has Rinaldi's body been secured?"

"Yes, sir. On its way to the surface."

"Colonel?" Kelston began.

"I know..." the Colonel nodded. "Clarkston, we can't be sure even dead they can't use Rinaldi, keep the body under guard. That's all. Masters?" he turned to the lieutenant.