3- Therefore I Am

Start from the beginning

The pilot's father spoke to him angrily while Verstappen is clearly trying to leave. His father brutally grabs his arm. I can't help but notice the way the pilot is getting all tense at the contact.

I watch them arguing angrily for a moment before Jos Verstappen leaves, leaving his son alone.

Verstappen grabs his arm, where his father grabbed and held him. Suddenly he raises his icy gaze on me.

Shit.

"What are you looking at, Leclerc?

His tone is dry and he almost spits out his words.

I want to take advantage of the situation to lower him even further.  I know it's not good to think so and I probably shouldn't, but... I think about what he did to me and the anger is building up again.

- I just wanted to see how 'dad's son' disappointed his dad today. Fourth Verstappen, really? I knew you weren't up to me, but at this point...

I watch with pleasure his fists clench and his body stiffen with anger.  I know I'm touching a sensitive part of him.

I'm just repeating what he did to me.

- Get out of here, Leclerc.

My smile widens as the Redbull pilot's mouth twists in rage.

- Already? But the discussion has only just begun."

I have a feeling he's going to crack soon. He ignores my gaze on him and stares at a point in the void on his side. I can see a vein twitching on his temple and his jaw completely clenched.

I wonder if he could become violent. Actually, it sounds like something he would do. I wouldn't be so surprised if he punched someone out of anger. His father is the first to do it and Verstappen looks so much like him.

"Charles, are you coming?"

Verstappen looks up when he hears Carlos' voice across the paddock. Too bad I wish I'd seen him crack tonight.

I turn around and see Carlos frown when he sees me chatting with the RedBull driver.

I'm facing Verstappen again to conclude our little conversation. I can't read his blue eyes.

"I hope tomorrow you'll come and watch me when I'll be on the podium.

- See you tomorrow, Leclerc."

I was obviously trying to provoke him, but he didn't attack me back and he didn't defend himself either.

I finally turn my back on him and join Carlos to return to our hotel.

On the way to our hotel, he questions me.

"What were you doing with Verstappen?

- I ran into him, we talked.

- He didn't make a rude or inappropriate remark to you, I hope.

- No, don't worry, he didn't say anything special.

- Well, that's good. You know if he ever does it again, I'm here, right?

- Yes, thank you Carlos, everything's fine really.

- Then it's perfect. "

***

Sunday

That's it. It's finally the most anticipated moment of the week.

I'm looking forward to bringing Ferrari a second win today.