Chapter Forty-Six

I spent the next three days drifting in and out of sleep. I didn't know if it was because of Anwir's sleeping spell or the fact that I hadn't eaten since the morning I was brought to the tower. I was so weak that raising my head became a challenge, and speaking even more so. So, I hung there silently, not bothering to speak up whenever Anwir entered the basement.

When Cain arrived to speak with Anwir, the whole tower seemed to tremble. I shuddered, Cain's magic overpowering. I had no magic to respond to his outburst, even though it wasn't aimed at me, so my very being was screaming at me to run. I could sense his anger, and I hoped he would not be overcome by it. Anwir would no doubt use it as a weapon against him.

Soon enough, I heard voices and two people descending the stairs. Though I didn't raise my head, I knew it was Anwir and Cain.

"What have you done to her?" Cain snapped. Out of the corner of my eye, it looked as if he was going to come to me, but Anwir gripped his arm to stop him.

"She tried to kill me, so I had to discourage such behaviour," he said evenly. "Now that you see she is alive, let us discuss this . . . situation."

I lifted my head slightly, watching as they glared at one another. Cain did not look at me, perhaps so he was more aware of Anwir's actions.

"What do you want for her release and the end of the attacks?"

Anwir regarded him for a moment. "Your throne."

Cain barked out a laugh, and if I wasn't in such a state, I likely would've done the same thing. Anwir said it as if it was a simple request. "You expect me to give up my throne to the man who killed over a hundred innocents?"

"Well, perhaps I misspoke," Anwir said, laughing lightly. "I never said you were giving it up willingly."

Though my throat stung, I thought my input was needed in those moments. "Careful, he seems to like describing his plots of revenge in great detail." Anwir let out a hiss, glaring at me.

"Revenge? How childish, Anwir." Cain glanced at me, seeming to hesitate his next words. "If it is my throne you want, let us settle this by tradition. A fight to the death."

I felt my heart sink. Though it couldn't be avoided, Cain could have done so many things to give himself an advantage. Just bringing a few people as backup would've been a wise thing to do. To come alone and fight on Anwir's territory was foolish, and the look in his eyes told me he knew it.

I watched as they took a few steps back and circled one another. They both waited for the other to make the first move, and I held my breath as Anwir gave in to attack Cain.

He was fast. I had never seen anybody move as fast as him, and I almost gasped as he shot what looked to be a bolt of light from his hands. The books Lord Cawther had assigned me did not cover the destroyed Houses, so I had no name for the power Anwir possessed. The beam of light hit Cain in the chest and he stumbled back before steadying himself.

Cain did not have a set power like the other Houses, so it surprised me that he waved his hand and there was suddenly no air in the room. For a few moments, I was unable to breathe, until I felt the air reappear around me, leaving me gasping for breath. Cain yelled an apology which I was too tired to respond to.

Anwir's face was slowly becoming more and more red, but he barrelled forward and continued to attack Cain with chains of light. As one of the chains wrapped around Cain's neck, Anwir sucked in a deep breath, the attack likely stopping Cain's concentration on his power.

With one fluid movement, Anwir threw Cain across the room, his head hitting the wall with a sickening thud. Cain did not move and for a few moments, I feared he was dead. But surely not. There was no indication that Anwir was the new king – no flow of magic or anything of the sort. All was still.

"Do you want to give your throne willingly, or shall I kill you?" Anwir sneered. Cain's shoulders shook slightly – in laughter, I realised. I didn't understand what could be funny in those moments. I was helpless and he was about to die.

"Anwir, don't you know what happens when you lock up a predator?" He looked up, a wicked grin on his face. "They come out to play."

Cain raised his hand, the action almost seeming difficult, and shot a bolt of his magic at the chains that bound my hands. I let out a gasp as the chains shattered, leaving me to fall to the ground. The impact made me cry out in pain, and it took me a moment to compose myself.

I looked up to see Anwir holding a dagger of light. As rage filled my veins, magic followed – all of the magic that had built up in the time I was chained and powerless. Cain was right. I was a predator. I had been locked up as if I was nothing. But Anwir was wrong, and I would make him pay. My breathing became uneven as I sent my magic towards him; into him. Blood was a liquid. And so, I froze it.

Anwir's dagger disappeared as he gasped and stumbled back. His veins were all too clear; blue against his greying skin. He whirled to face me, his face twisting into an ugly sneer as he barrelled towards me. The movement added to the crystals in his veins and made blood seep beneath his skin, covering him in splotches of purple.

But before he reached me, a jagged piece of ice shot through his chest and he collapsed. I sagged against the wall, feeling suddenly exhausted.

Anwir was dead.

"Fida, are you alright?" Cain asked, slowly getting to his feet. I stared at Anwir's body, shuddering. It was unnatural to see a wound with no blood. It remained frozen in his veins. "Fida?" I blinked, realising he had asked a question. Was I alright? Very slowly, I nodded. At least, I thought I was.

"You're stupid for coming alone," I scolded, though I was too tired to sound harsh. He chuckled, but was swiftly frowning when I tried to get up and collapsed. I hissed at the wave of pain from the impact on my wounds.

Cain walked towards me and scooped me up, a frown still on his face. "I'm so sorry I didn't get to you sooner. Perhaps you wouldn't have been in so much pain."

"You should see the other guy," I muttered. He chuckled as he carried me out of the basement and out of the tower. I sighed as I felt the cool night air; a feeling I had missed so much in my captivity.

I slowly felt myself drifting to sleep as Cain used his magic to bring us back to the castle. Back home, to friends and family. Though I was wounded and would likely scar in different ways, I had people to help me bear them.

And to have such people, perhaps pain was a worthy price.