Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I had only ran a few metres from the village when I heard the pitiful cries of a wolf in distress.

For a second I hesitated, for a second a challenging thought ran through my mind. Was this wolf's life more valuable than saving my own? Was risking my own life worth saving his?

Hearing the wolf cry out again I knew I only had one option. I slowed my pace and spun abruptly to my left, launching over fallen trees and large rocks as I ran in the direction of the distressed cries.

I had only gone a few metres when I stumbled across the wolf as he scrambled away from his attacker.

His dark brown eyes were filled with a look I was sure I wore whenever Colby's eyes flashed that unearthly red. Defeat.

This wolf was only moments away from conceding his life, from allowing the more powerful, more intimidating grey haired wolf to take it away from him. Watching as he stalked towards the small brown wolf I wanted nothing more than to step in and save him but what use was I?

Colby couldn't be too far off now, even with me remaining in my human form he would still be able to track my scent, no matter how weak it was. I needed to keep running. I needed to reach the borders of his territory and I had no idea how long that would take me.

I was about to take a step away from the scene and continue my escape when the brown wolf spotted me, his defenceless eyes pleading with me, begging me to be his last hope.

With that look I knew I couldn't turn my back on him even if it cost me my own life. How many times had I prayed that someone would be my last hope, that someone would be the the one to save me from Colby and his senseless temper?

The grey wolf let out a sharp bark drawing the attention of the brown wolf and I used the distraction to search for something, anything that I could use as a weapon. I spotted a thick branch lying several steps away from me and I knew it was going to be my only option. As silently as I could I started to move towards it, knowing with each step I was trapping myself into even more danger but the fear in the brown wolfs eyes kept me moving forward.

I kept one eye on the grey wolf as he continued to move towards his prey whilst watching carefully where I put my every footstep. I held my sigh of relief as I was finally able to reach the branch and slowly crouched down to pick it up, keeping my eyes trained on the grey wolf who still by some miracle hadn't seemed to notice me. For a moment the brown wolf's eyes darted to mine and I pleaded with him to look away but it was too late. The grey wolf froze mid step and stuck his nose in the air immediately catching my scent. In an instant he had spun to face me and I had only seconds to react.

The wolf launched himself across the remaining distance between us and I reacted the only way I could think of. I felt my arms swing the branch until it struck the wolf hard in the side of the head sending him careening into one of the trees around us. I had hit him with all my strength but still he staggered back to his feet. The initial shock of the hit wearing off quickly as he turned his anger on me.

My mind was screaming for my body to run but it seemed there was no unity between mind and body, rendering me frozen, terror replacing the blood in my veins. He was mere steps from me now and I knew it would take nothing but a single movement from the grey wolf to end my life and he knew it too.

He bared his teeth threateningly, moving closer with ever step until I could feel his hot, sticky breath against my cold face. My hands trembled and my legs shook as I stumbled back until I was met with the harsh bark of one of the many trees. I only had moments now, moments before I would have a different kind of freedom than the one I had been seeking.