I. Hiccup

"Alright," Astrid said. "I admit it. This is pretty cool. It's ... amazing. He's amazing," she added, petting the pitch black dragon we were riding.
   I couldn't believe this was actually happening. My crush accepted who I really was, and a dragon!

Oh hey. Sorry about that. The name's Hiccup. Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third. Great name, I know. But trust me, there's worse. Up until recently, I wasn't good at anything other than screwing up. But ever since I met Toothless, a Night Fury dragon I shot down a few weeks ago, I discovered that what I had been raised to believe about dragons was wrong. Us Vikings thought that the creatures were nothing but monsters that raid and kill everything they see. But as I studied them, I realized that they only kill in self defense. Why they kept raiding us, I still had no idea.

   "So what now?" Astrid asked. "Hiccup, your final exam is tomorrow. You know you're gonna have to kill-" She pulled me closer so Toothless wouldn't hear. "Kill a dragon," she whispered.
   "Don't remind me," I groaned. My father, Chief Stoick the Vast, had taken it into his head to have me trained to kill dragons, despite what I wanted. Now it seemed that I was at the top of the class and my reward was killing a dragon in front of the whole village. A few weeks ago I would have jumped at an opportunity like this to prove that I truly was a Viking. Now the thought made me sick. I tried running away, but Astrid caught wind of what was actually happening and nearly ratted me out. Thankfully, Toothless intervened and together, he and I convinced her about the truth about dragons; which explains what we were doing out flying in the middle of the night.

   Suddenly Toothless flew lower towards a dense fog on the ocean.
   "Toothless, what's happening?" I asked nervously. Thanks to the mist, I couldn't see past Toothless' head.
   "What's going on?" Astrid said, her voice shaking a little.
   "I don't know," I answered. I put a hand against the dragon's head. "Toothless. You've gotta get us out here, Bud." He just shook it off.
   Great. My dragon went rogue on me twice in one night. Just great.
   I tried looking around, but the fog was too dense to see through.
   Where are you taking us, Bud? I thought.
   Astrid's grip tightened around my waist. At any other time, like say a few minutes ago, I would've enjoyed it. But right now it was just a reassurance that I wasn't the only one who was scared. Oh man. If Astrid was nervous, this was bad. Really bad.
   Out of nowhere, a huge shadow appeared just ahead of us.
   "What is that?" I thought out loud.
   Neither Astrid nor Toothless answered me.
   Once we got closer to it, I could see it was a land mass of some kind. An island, maybe? No, it was way too big, I thought as we flew over a grove of trees, none of which I recognized, except for maybe the occasional pine.
   Toothless finally landed when we spotted a small clearing in the mass of trees as the mist started to fade.
   "Where are we?" Astrid asked as we dismounted.
   The fog had cleared completely now, but there was so much undergrowth it was still hard to see, even with the moonlight streaming through the trees.
   I shook my head. "I don't kn... What's that?"
   There was a faint bluish light about fifteen feet away from us on the other side of the thicket.
   "Hiccup," Astrid warned.
   I started walking towards it.
   "What are you doing?!" she scream-whispered.
   "Stay with Toothless," I told her. "I'll be right back."
   I ignored her protests as I moved the shrubbery away from my face towards the light. Almost as soon as I made through, it went out.
   What in Thor's- I thought before someone crashed into me.