Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Thirty-Five

Hermione has no regrets.

She did what she had to do with Malfoy last night, even if she wanted to kiss him as badly as she did. Now, he knows where she stands and what he has to do if he wants access to the parts of her she'd once planned on freely giving him. She knows that she'd effectively confessed feelings to him by doing it, but she finds that she isn't embarrassed. It's illogical to look at their situation and say there aren't any feelings there. The problem isn't Hermione. She's never been anything other than herself. No hiding, no lying.

The problem is Malfoy.

She stares at herself in the mirror of her vanity as Tracey stands behind her, lacing up Hermione's dress. It's a Christmas Eve party, so Hermione decided to go with something green, asking Pinky to get it for her that morning. She hadn't known exactly what the elf was going to pick but she definitely did a good job.

The evening gown is a dark, rich emerald green. The fabric is soft on the inside, and it glitters much like her dress for Charon Palace did, with extra shimmer when she moves. The dark green chiffon sleeves fall off of her shoulders, the sweetheart neckline revealing collarbones that melt into her dark brown skin as smooth as silk. The back laces like a corset, with a black insert behind the strings. As Tracey ties it off, Hermione can see her waist cinching in, accentuating her voluptuous curves. She's left her curls down today and with the curling cream and light mousse she used, the shiny ringlets hang down to the small of her back. She forewent make-up for the day, save for some rouge.

The little rebellions are her favorite.

She looks at her neck, where Pinky's powerful magic has healed every bite wound or mark she's ever received there. Tonight, Malfoy will have to put the necklace back onto her. As much as she hates it, it's necessary. There are a lot of things that will be necessary tonight.

It remains to be seen if Malfoy will do what it takes.

"It looks great," Tracey says, placing her hands upon Hermione's shoulders and smiling at her in the reflection. "And it covers a lot more than last time."

"So does yours," Hermione says, referencing Tracey's flowing black satin gown. "The train is nice, too."

"Thanks," Tracey says, and then she steps back. "We'd better head down there now. I think Malfoy said something about needing to talk to you beforehand."

Hermione nods, walking over to her wardrobe to get her shoes–the white platforms again. They're visible when she gathers her skirt to get it out of the way while she walks.

"Ready?" she asks, her curls swinging as she glances back at Tracey.

"Let's go," Tracey replies with a smile.

In the Floo room, Blaise and Malfoy are once again standing near the Floo with drinks in their hands. They're both wearing impeccably tailored suits, with vests over long-sleeved button-ups. Blaise's short curly Afro has been slicked down into waves that caress his scalp. Malfoy's hair has only a little product in it, enough to keep it textured and pushed back. Blaise has one hand on Malfoy's shoulder, and he's saying something while laughing. Malfoy's responding with one of his rare half-smiles, and whatever he says makes Blaise's laughter start anew. Hermione watches him take a sip of his drink as she walks in behind Tracey.

"You stun me everytime, Tracey," Blaise says, reaching for her hand. He seems to only have eyes for her. "Beautiful."

"Thank you, Blaise." Tracey tilts her head back for a kiss, which he gladly gives her.

Malfoy stares at Hermione openly, without shame or regard to anyone else in the room. His drink is poised halfway to his mouth, forgotten as his gaze sweeps the length of her body. Whatever's behind his eyes is closed off, as she expected from him, but there's no denying the hunger she sees there. She's seen it several times before.