Chapter 17: Wrench in the Works

Start from the beginning

          Peach can only hope Mario and Luigi can help supply answers. As she leaned on the desk, a sense of unease and guilt enveloped her. It is unfortunate that the brothers must return to the field so soon, as they have only had a week's worth of rest. Despite this, Peach understands the importance of their mission and cannot allow her personal feelings to interfere again. 

          Without a second to waste, the Toadstool Princess exited her office and set out to the throne room; she needed to redirect the airships. As she walked through the castle halls, Peach couldn't help but feel a sense of urgency. She knew that time was of the essence and any delay could mean the difference between success and failure.

            She swiftly entered the throne room and was greeted by her loyal advisors who were waiting for her instructions. Without wasting any time, she explained the situation. Maintaining her poise, Peach waved her hand, causing the center of the floor to shift and move. A three-dimensional map of their lands sat on a levitating marble slab, accompanied by moveable pieces. Toadsworth glanced at Peach’s face before turning, “I shall inform the brothers.”

“Thank you,” replied the princess.

            Peach turned her attention to the fleet flying in the skyline. She reached for the leading ship and turned its bowsprit towards a patch of islands. The princess sighed and watched as the rest of the fleet followed suit. They should arrive within the next few hours.

                             »--•--«

Why did he do this?

This is weird, borderline creepy!

          Luigi stared at the small notebook standing before him. He doesn’t know what on this earth compelled him to write down everything he learned about Bowser. Maybe it was because of his curiosity or better organizing his thoughts. He must admit, the Koopa King was a rather intriguing character. And there was so much to Bowser’s softer side, and the fact that he wasn’t a loner as many people perceived him. He interacts with his citizens, whether casually or completing his royal duties. 

            The Koopa King’s voice was rather soothing to Luigi; honestly, he sometimes found himself lost in listening to it rather than registering his words. Bowser wasn’t as spontaneous as he thought he would be; there was purpose behind his actions. And for someone of such size and reputation, Bowser could be as gentle as a lamb. Luigi cannot ignore the tenderness in his eyes when he looks at Junior or how attentive he was when the koopaling showed him a drawing. 

            Furthermore, he wasn’t as angry as he was before… Luigi couldn’t tell if it was because Bowser was mellowing out because of community service or if it was actually out of his own volition; the king did know how to keep his temper in check. There were several times he caught himself snapping at him, after all. His high school psychology teacher once explained that anger issues aren’t as simple as they are portrayed to be. So, perhaps Luigi was making notes to better interact with him? He wants to be a good friend to Bowser, after all.

          Whatever the reason for his sudden curiosity was, he couldn’t erase the info as he wrote in ink; plus, it did help better organize his thoughts. Still, Luigi doesn’t want to be considered a creep by leaving this out in the open. He grabbed the notebook, walked towards his dresser, and hid it underneath his clothes. Part of him wanted to take it with him for safekeeping (and add more entries), but he didn't want to risk its discovery.