Chapter 21

Last night had been a success of wild proportions

Last night had been a success of wild proportions. Not only did everyone who purchased a ticket and attended the event seem to have a good time mixing and mingling with other (presumably) local vets, but watching Rhett go through a wave of emotions as the night went on—hopeful, awed, relaxed, and joyful—warmed my heart. It was why I'd wanted to bring this event to life in the first place, and having him come up to me once the pub had emptied and we were cleaning up had certified that it'd been the right thing to push for.

His arms had wrapped around my waist from behind and I'd turned in his arms to see his eyes shining with gratitude. "In case I haven't said it enough, thank you," he'd said in a low rumble. "Thank you for bringing this night to life, because while you say that this was originally my idea, that's all it was. An idea. But you... you were the one that showed me that it could be a reality. That Dawson's could be so much more than your everyday pub."

I'd grinned softly back up at him and said, "There's no need to thank me. This is your place—a place you built in memory of your best friend—and while I know you've operated in a strict business mindset for so long, I hope tonight really proved to you that being yourself and showing the public what this place stands for is one of the best ways to pull in customers. Like calls to like, after all."

His features had softened as he leaned closer, grazing his lips lightly over my own. "Well, in this moment, I'm liking you a whole lot."

"Only in this moment?"

He'd chuckled at my playful response, though ignored it as he wrapped his arms tighter around me and gently pressed his mouth to the top of my head. "And I'll prove it to you once we're done here."

His words had held the promise of a fantastic—and steamy—night ahead, and when he and Finn had finally locked up for the night, Rhett had followed me up to my apartment and made good on that promise three times over.

Which is why, at eleven 'o'clock the next morning, the two of us were just beginning our day, seated across from one another at my small table, sipping our coffees and slowly eating the scrambled eggs and bacon I'd whipped together.

"What time are you working today?" I asked.

"I'm not, actually," he replied after swallowing his latest swig coffee. "Finn suggested I take the day and relax, and seeing as I was able to send the digital donation transfer to the Wounded Warrior Project last night before locking up—" Consisting of the five thousand dollars the event had raised! "—I'm inclined to listen to him for once."

"And how does Rhett Morris plan to spend a whole day doing nothing?"

His lips quirked upwards. "Well, I was going to see what you had planned for the day," he replied with a raised brow.

Considering I was fresh off the stress of organizing an important event, today, I wanted to simply relax. Though, for me, that meant throwing myself into stocking up on content for my personal social accounts. Which I let Rhett know.